1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

finely did it :)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc_77, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

hehe sorry none of my family cares and my girl friends thinks i should have spent the money on her ... i just got my first commercial mower !!!
    :) :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

my set up is finely complete , exmark viking 36 hydro, echo pb651 H , echo srm210i
    and a 97 ford F150 with a western 7 1/2 pro plow :)

again sorry but it sucks being excited and every one you know could care less about lawn equipment ::sigh::

any way. any one with a viking have trouble with scalping ? i think the back of the deck is set way to low but I'm not sure. i just raised the front casters up , i havent tryed it but i doubt it will work. guess I'm bringing it back to the shop already :eek:
  2. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

good deal you have to have equipment to work with. this mite sound like a bobby gelding story but i bought our sabre tooth tiger at a funeral.
  3. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I might be wrong. But are the blades set at the same height?Maybe set to low? Oh by the way congratulations on your new mower.
  4. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

thanks jpp :)

I'm not sure about the blades, i haven't checked that.i don't know how to check that yet.
    i looked at the deck and the back is set at just over 1 inch. the front 2 1/2 was at 2 before i adjusted the casters.
    I'm sure it's just a hight adjustment
    i hope.
  5. Mark Lawncare

Mark Lawncare LawnSite Member

I just got a 48" viking and the dealer told me if the back is set at three inches than you can adjust the front to go lower but not any higher, because than it would just blow the grass down and not cut it.
  6. seymour_glass

seymour_glass LawnSite Member

Hey, congrats on everything.

Typically, the front of the deck should be lower than the back. So if your saying that the back is at one inch, and the front at 2.5, then that's way off. That can prolly be fixed by spacers on the caster wheels.

As for the actual blade height, that needs to be set by adjusting the spacers on the spindle bolt between the blade and the bottom of the deck. Simply grab a couple socket wrench's, lift up the deck by the front casters, and get to work.

Hope that helps.
  7. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

thanks SSLC.
    my dealers was saying something like that also.
    i was scalping the lawn on a small hill , the hill is about 3- 4 feet long and only raises 5 or 6 inches. it would scalp at the top of the hill. and not very bad but noticeable.
    the other damage i did to my lawn was just me learning how to use the ECS controls correctly. :eek:
  8. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Andrew. I think the size is 15/16 on the wrench's and sockets.
  9. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

Way to go Doc.

Women? They get excited about Tupperware parties but not about mowers! Go figure.:confused:

(Uh...don't tell my wife I said that.:D )
  10. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Thats awesome. You life will be much easier now.