Fingers getting numb

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr Lucky, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky LawnSite Member

Has anyone else had a problem with their hands and fingers going to sleep. My thumb and first 2 fingers are "asleep".

2. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

Yep! Its from the string trimmer, happens to me all time. I started using a neck strap to take the weight off my hand, it seems to have helped.:angel:

3. JHMlandscapes

JHMlandscapes LawnSite Member

Ya might want to go to the doctor and get that checked out, if it's numbing then there might be a problem with the nerves.

Be safe and keep yourself well.

Henry

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

There is this "disease" called Raynauds Phenomina (SP!!)

It is descriebd in your trimmer and blower manuals (@ least in the echo ones) and it is a tingling and numbness which is result from intense vibration and cold. I get it when i run a blower in the cold fall am's....

Maybe you should have it checked out. wear gloves or use a strap.

BE WELL!:blob2: :blob2:

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

That is pretty common for me from the shrub trimming, That and I have had 3rd degree burns on the palm of one hand, when a friend fell over on his motorcycle...............Knew they were dangerous, thought they were only dangerous for the rider.............;)

6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

My walk behind will make mine go numb. :(

7. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

What you have is carpal tunnel syndrome. The classic sign is numbness in the thumb and first two fingers. I had carpal tunnel surgery three and a half years ago and it took care of the problem for me. I did it in January and was ready to go by mid February.

Your doctor can give you a nerve conductivity test to confirm that it is carpal tunnel.

8. fenderbender

fenderbender LawnSite Member

Its carpal tunnel. If you keep letting it go you will end up like me. Already had 3 surgery's, have one more scheduled, and they are not sure if that will be all. I keep developing scar tissue after surgery and it starts all over again. Now I don't have much gripping power and still have lots of pain. You need to get it looked at before it gets worse.

9. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto!!

10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Get some anti-vibration or impact resistant gloves. They make them in half and three quarter finger style as well as full finger depending on mfg. they really do make a world of difference.