Finish cut ends

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Dirt Boy, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

First off, I'm a rookie plain & simple.
    Did a small retaining wall for myself, decorative, using Menards materials, did another for my mother (she's happy!)

But, my question is this, I end up having to cut some of the caps which have exposed ends, and they, of course, tend to stand out from the others.

Can this be corrected, or how do you get around this?

Thanks for your input

2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Split them

3. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

use a 4inch chisel and chisel it off.

4. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Take them down to your supplier and have them split the caps with a block splitter. They usually charge $2-$3 per split.

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

If they are glued on now and you have min. overhang you may want to remove them and put new ones on. If you have sufficient overhang, just take a 3" cold chisel and small sledge, chip the cap all the way around and hopefully it comes off evenly, the finish should resemble (or close too) the front of the cap.

6. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys

I tried splitting a few by hand, but that didn't turn out so well as they pretty much just broke irregularly.
    I did it the "proper" way, scoring, etc. but, part of the problem is they are an "U" shape with very small legs, and that don't help them to break straight. On top of that they're Menards, so quality probably isn't top notch.

I will try taking a chisel to the face of them to try and give it a better look, and see what happens.

Regards

7. Even Cut Lawn Care

Even Cut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Cut the other end!

8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Good answer, now why didn't I think of that.:hammerhead:

9. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I think he is referring to the cut would hang over for the eyebrow ?

10. Even Cut Lawn Care

Even Cut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I dont understand what he's trying to say....? Thats what I do, If Im goint to have a step wall with a cap. Start at the last block on that run to ensure all overhangs are equal, then work back to the step if that makes sense. Probably not the "right" way to do it but it works well for me.

What do you mean eyebrow?