Finished Scalping Bermuda's...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sandman23, Mar 26, 2008.

1. sandman23

sandman23 LawnSite Member
    from GA

I started scalping the first week of March. I have just finished with my regular accounts. I will have some one timers and some new accounts but for the most part, I am done. I must have about 450 cu/ft of Bermuda dust in my sinus's and that is with a mask. I couldn't imagine not wearing one when scalping.

I take them down to 1 1/4" and bring them up gradually throughout the year. I end up between 2 1/2 and 3". We just started aerating and fertilizing. My lawns are about to bust wide open. :clapping:

2. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Do you bag the clippings ?

3. sandman23

from GA

Yes. We bag when we scalp and during leaf season. The rest of the time we mulch.

4. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Sandman, what mowers do you use? My Emerald Green Zoysia was real green last week before the hard freeze, its brown again. I'm looking for a mower that mulches Bermuda good, especially with dew in the morning, I use a Walker now with 48SD deck, 42" Mulching deck and GHS deck.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Dave, I drove by your house yesterday to check on your Zoysia...your Zoysia did the exact same thing as my bermuda on my rear lawn.

As far as the mulching mower, I have been told that my Toro T2 mulches good with the kit...I have not purchased the kit, but I am thinking hard about it and will let you know when I do.

Have you been through The GA Club lately? They have some nice green grass in there...it appears to be some sort of Zoysia but I,not sure which kind it is.

I am also still working on finding out who takes care of some of the homeowners lawns in there for you...the common areas, rights of ways and townhomes are taken care of by Greenscapes

6. sandman23

from GA

I use Exmark mowers. I have a 36" tthp and a 46" Lazer Hp. Both mowers mulch very well. I use the mulch kits and mulch "wavy" blades. I am suprised that the Walker mulch deck isn't working for you.

We were fortunate here as far as the weather. It was only below freezing for a couple hours so there was no damage. The late freeze last year really did a number on the lawns and shrubs. Hopefully we will not have another freeze this year.

7. dave k

The old Walker deck is ok, but as you know the Walker BTS is so sloooooow, I had pretty good success using Gators on it, a whole lot better than the Walker set up.
    I put the SD on it today and will cut tomorrow with it, I cut my lawns at 2" since I'm not getting paid to scalp.
    The HP, is that the Ultra Cut deck or Triton?

8. dave k

Chris, I will drive through the club tomorrow, my lawn was looking so sweet, put down some 24-0-10 with Dimension this afternoon, should green up quick with the rain coming this weekend.

9. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Ahhhhhhhhhh.........scalping lawns! I fired a customer last week because she DEMANDED that I scalp her lawn all at once (5k sqft) and not charge her extra. I told her I would bring it down to 1" over the course of several mowings ....but her fert guy told her I needed to scalp it to the ground and keep it at 1-1.5" all season. Of course her fert salesman was prolly selling cars at a used lot the week before! Her lawn grew between 3-5 inches last week in 7 days without irrigation!! I told her if she wanted it maintained at 1-1.5 she would have to pay me to come out 2x per week. Of course that was out of the question! I sent her an article from the UGA and Walter Reeves on how to properly maintain a Bermuda lawn, but....the fert salesman.....his word is gold!

I never wear a mask while scalping!! I should. I'm using a Walker and catching until they are all down to 1".

10. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

that dust isn't good for you