Finishing touch to pavers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BostonGuy, Aug 10, 2004.

1. BostonGuy

BostonGuy LawnSite Member

I just recently found this site and think its great. After reading the last paver thread it made me think you could give me some ideas for cleaning up a job I finished up on recently. Were the pavers meet up with the step in the walk way, I keep getting the dirt and seed washing away and exposing the paver edging. I think it detracts from an otherwise good job. Any thoughts on how I can finish this a different way?

mvc-695f1.jpg

2. BostonGuy

FYI
    Here is the before. Job included walkway, stairs and garden walls.

frontbefore1.jpg

3. bleabold

bleabold LawnSite Member

Nice looking job BostonGuy:

In regards to soil/seed washing away, I try to compact the soil to hold the edgers in place. Then leave about 1/2" of loose soil for seed to grow. Put down some straw or hay. This does two things, first it helps keep the soil moist for seed germination and secondly when it rains /water run off it will help keep the soil in place.

The amount of area you are seeding is about normal in size. Wash out is a fact of life in this circumstace.

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Erosion is caused by speed and/or volume of water. Slope, of course, speeds up water. The problem is that you get volume off of the pavers and the easiest way for it to go is down the slope next to your riser.

You could lengthen the riser of your step and curve it back in front of the house just as a low retaining wall without adding to the tread.(just a few feet). Then you could drain the water from the walk straight away from the house instead of along side of the step where it speeds up and washes the soil. The soil can be graded across the face of that wall much more gently than next to the step.

5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If all else fails, piece in some sod.

Dan

6. BostonGuy

Great ideas. Thanks

7. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

Put a rock at the end of the step that is a touch higher than the step. That will keep the soil from rolling down to the next level. I like the sod idea too.

Awsome job!!!

I'd love to hear some more about how you went about installing the brick and stone on top of the landing.

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi BostonGuy,

Excellent work!

9. BostonGuy

I dug a foundation footing 9" deep around the existing stairs and built a form wide enough to allow me to build a layer of cinder block on either side of the stairs + the layer for brick. This made the stairs a lot wider. I poured the foundation tying it to the existing stairs with rebar. I built the cinder block section first, then built the brick around it. I think this picture should help describe what I'm talking about.

mvc-213s.jpg

10. BostonGuy

Here you can see the first three steps done from the top.

mvc-217f1.jpg