Finsihed gate assist--take a peep

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Sep 8, 2002.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Thanks to Greenquest4000 for some ideas and a couple new ones of my own, I finally finished my gate assist. I also finally figured out how to post pictures. I made the mistake of using brass pulley wheels, but that won't be hard to change. I can, like everyone else with a gate assist, kick the gate up to my hands with the top of my foot. This photo is at the end of the top rail where the gate is attatched.

MATT

pulley.jpg

2. walker-talker

from Midwest

Here's where the cable meets the gate. I need to trim off the excess cable yet.

eyebolt.jpg

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I did mine the same way, how the end of the cable meets the gate. Used an I-hook to attach to the gate and that other little thing inside of it for the cable to go around it. I couldn't get mine to be hidden, though. My side rails are wood so I did what EZ-Gate did and just made a big long 6 foot tube with the spring inside. I've got 2 set-ups so I can almost just let it go instead of having to let it down. Works great! :cool:

4. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Nice clean design !

Mine is just a garage door spring hooked to the gate and the trailer.......what are you using for the counterweight inside ?

jeffyr

5. walker-talker

from Midwest

Mine is hidden becasue I had to mount a 6' square tude on the top rail with my spring inside. I am using a 150lb gargae door spring from Home Depot. The only thing that bothers me is that the spring rubs inside the steel tube.

MATT

6. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Fire some white lithium grease from a spray can up inside the tube and you should have no problems with wear. :)

7. walker-talker

from Midwest

Didn't think of that, good idea, thanks.

MATT

8. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Nice job Matt. Very clean and well done.
    I love those diamond plate fenders too.:D

9. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

Looks like a great idea

I would like to show you pictures of my trailer and gate, I NEED HELP, CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO PUT PICTURE ON HERE ?

10. walker-talker

from Midwest

Fireifghter, when you reply to a post and after you type in the message box that I am typing in now, you can scroll down and you will see "attach file", click on the "browse" button. From there you just need to find the folder that your pic file is in and click "ok". The tricky part is to make sure your file (pic) is less than 102K and equal to or less than 640 X 480 pixels. Thanks for all the positive feed back. Into my project I kept having to make changes to make it more perfect and better looking. It took me an entire afternoon (a lot of time running back and forth to the hardware store), but I finally finished.

Thanks
    MATT