Fire ant control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArTurf, Mar 30, 2013.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Just getting into this segment, I have been doing only weed control til this point. Looking for products, timing, frequency & and suggestions you care to give.

2. marc417

marc417 LawnSite Member

Are you looking a liquid to spray or a granular to broadcast. Bifenthrin also known as bifen works great and not too terribly expensive to spray the whole yard and flower beds. Also helps with fleas, ticks, and grubs

3. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, Bifen IT is the best cheap way to kill fire ants.

4. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

I can go either way. I have sprayed my own lawn with bifenthrin last year and seen good results. Approximately how long is the residual?

5. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

I've used bifen on my own yard last year with good results. How long is the residual on this product.

6. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Fripinal is a good season long guarantee but needs to be done early.

I've heard a few guys use bifen and sometimes get great control depending on weather and soil type.

I'd be interested in the residual of bifen and the volume used.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

might look into bifen xts.. higher AI and also seems to have a longer residual.. do a search under ric's name you'll find a ton of fire ant info

8. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

Before I started this thread I did a search for fire ants and nothing came up??? After searching under Ric's posts I found several and will read them.

9. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

How is everyone applying in the flowerbeds (liquid)? If with a backpack, at what concentration?

10. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Rics way you would need a skid sprayer or similar that can put out several gallons per 1000 sq ft.