Fire Ant Help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GameDawg33, Oct 28, 2007.

1. GameDawg33

GameDawg33 LawnSite Member

A good customer of mine has a 2 & a half acre property and it is infested with fire ant mounds everywhere. He has a little boy & desperatly wants to get rid of them. What would be his best bet & then maitenance program.

2. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Regent, absolute 100% control.

3. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Go and get 4 25lb bags of Talstar EZ and spread it and then in a month or so, get some Fipronil and Advion and spread it when you see the ants forging for food. Make sure it will not rain for a couple of days at a minimum and the Advion will give quick knock down and the fipronil will give the lasting effect.

This should not be applied by you but by them because you need to be a licensed applicator to do it.

The Talstar EZ will give you quick results but I don't know how long you can expect it to last.

4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

RIC Where are you? You are the expert in this!

5. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

I use TopChoice. It's expensive but works. Year 1 I had 90-95% control. Year 2 I had 99.9%. I know sandy soils don't retain the chemicals like NC red clay does but I heard they use it at The Alamo in TX where Fire Ants are the worst I'm told.

Advion works well for getting rid of existing mounds while you are waiting ~4 weeks for the TC to take effect. I put mine down in March-April before the ants really come out and it lasts all year. My neighbors (who must be dumb because I have told them) wonder why I walk around my grass barefoot. "I could never do that- the ants are too bad..." I didn't get bitten once this year on my own lawn.

Treating my 40lb dog for ant bites ONCE cost me more than treating the whole lawn (1/2 acre) for fire ants. Money well spent.

6. Powershotjoe

Powershotjoe LawnSite Member

gasoline. works everytime

7. TAMU2003

TAMU2003 LawnSite Member
    from TEJAS

I agree on the Advion its pure Gold best bait on the market.

Id pass on the talstar its just bifenthrin.

Top choice used to be our ticket and combined with advion it was deadly BUT if you get poor coverage you will see fire ants. i just get sick of bayer putting products out to professionals only to provide the consumer the same thing but half the concentration.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Tamadrummer

Yes I have posted so much information on Fire Ant control I am not sure I could add any more information. Rather than retype an other novel I suggest those interested do a search Using "Fire Ants" as the search word and look for threads with my screen name.

I will say this being the dry season baits will work well and be economic. But please read about baits and how they work in order to use them properly. My personal experience with Advion is, it has a fast knock down but no real residual. Top Choice as heybuck has said only works on soil with high CEC and not coastal Florida's sandy soil.

9. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

topchoice is good but takes up to 2 months to work
    i would apply the topchioce and spot with advion

remember to apply advion near mounds not on top
    also with baits you can apply in bands as ants will travel to get it

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bug Guy

Just some thoughts about Economics of application and customer perception. First, Top Choice is a very expensive product per thousand sq ft. Top Choice takes 6 to 8 weeks to gain control. It does not always last the year it is marketed as working. However on heavy Clay-loam soils it can last even longer than the year. Call backs can be both a PITA and not the best customer perception. I personally find Top Choice a bad choice in my sandy soil. Advion is a species specific bait and will not control other species of ants, this gives bad customer perception that you did not control their ants when they still see other ants alive and well.

The one product I have found that works best for spot treatment is 1/2 a teaspoon of Acephate. While this is not a bait, ants seem to carry it into the mound even if applied directly on top of it. I see control in 10 to 15 minutes. Years ago when I did mowing, we carried a bottle of Orthene on the mowers. After removing the lid we only ice picked the paper seal to turn it into a salt shaker. This made for an excellent applicator that could be kept shut tight on the mower.

We each must find what works best for us. In my case I have liquid insecticide costs down to under $ 10.00 an acre. 1/4 acre lots I hose spray and on large properties I am using a boom sprayer and fire hosing the area every 60 days. On large acreage, Namely Agriculture land I am baning Baits once a year and getting reasonable control. But I am also using special equipment that I have purchased or designed.

Many Years ago I realized Fire Ants were the number one insect concern in the south. Therefore I studied ant control hard and heavy. I even got phone numbers with the word ANTS (2687). At one time I wanted to be the Fire Ant King. But my love of plants took me into the nursery business. Now that I am semi retired I may just pursue the Fire Ant King again.