Fire Ant Prevention/Over-n-out

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Meier, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I have probably been under-bidding my fire ant prevention applications.

I stole a Trugreen/Chemlawn customer last week for weed control/fertilization. I also included an estimate for fire ant control. She had about 1,700 square feet of lawn..maybe 2,000 with beds and all. My price to spread fire ant prevention was $38.00, which is my minimum. She's already had her lawn treated for fire ants by Trugreen/Chemlawn at a price of $105.00!!!!

I thought I was making pretty good margins on fire ant control, but it look as if the market will bear much better margins.

What are others charging for fire ant prevention treatments?

Thanks,
    DFW, TX

2. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

what are you using?

3. Meier

from DFW

I use Over-N-Out from Sevin. It works great.

Not sure how much margin the market will bear, though.

Later,
    DFW, TX

4. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

we couldnt come close to that price.. ofcourse then again we use talstar..

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

$38.00, that's $3.00 more than my stop fee, no way I would be charging $38 to put out an insecticide. You are correct, you did steal it from them.

I charge $15.00 per k for Top Choice apps.

6. Meier

from DFW

++++$38.00, that's $3.00 more than my stop fee, no way I would be charging $38 to put out an insecticide. You are correct, you did steal it from them.

I charge $15.00 per k for Top Choice apps.++++

Thanks.

By the way, I didn't get the fire ant application because she had already had it done by TruGreen/Chemlawn for $105.

I did steal the fert/weed control business. She only had about 1,600 sq ft, which hit my minimum of $32.00. I do the first 4,000 sq ft of weed control/fert for $32, which is competitive in my area (probably most areas of the country). 6 applications per year.

At $15 per $1,000 sq ft, I would have priced this at about $30.00. Perhaps I should have something like a $20 stop fee plus $15 per 1,000 sq ft. But that would only put me at $50 for a $105 Chemlawn job.

FYI: My cost on 1,000 sq ft is $3.99. Much more expensive than the typical weed control/fertilization application.

Any thoughts?

Later,
    DFW, TX

7. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

For fire ants minimum 15.00/K, minimum $65.00. Fire ants are tough critters to control and most people think control means eradication. Having the potential for call backs drives my minimum

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Three words

Texas Two Step

9. Meier

from DFW

++++Fire ants are tough critters to control and most people think control means eradication++++

You should try Sevin Over-N-Out. I have all my beds mulched with lime stone rock. It gets hotter than anything in those rocks and the fire ants love it. From 1998 (when I built my house) through 2001, every week when I mowed, I had to get the white powder out and sprinkle at least two colonies, sometimes more.

But last year, Sevin advertised Over-N-Out real heavy on the NCAA basketball tournament. They guaranteed the product for the entire season, so I tried it out. It's expensive ($20 for 5,000 sq ft) so I saved the proof of purchase from the bag and the receipt. I spread it on my lawn and I didn't have a single fire ant mound anywhere on my entire landscape all year.

I'm sold on the stuff.

It won't eradicate existing mounds...it only works to prevent new colonies from forming. But it works very well. I'm telling my fire ant customers that they won't have fire ants on their property all season. And I'm guaranteeing it.

Later,
    DFW, TX

10. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Top Choice kills the ants you have and keeps on protecting 12-16 months.