Fire Ants, Dogs, & Kids

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnjockey51, May 12, 2006.

1. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

We just bought a house in Florida and have a yard full of fire ants. We also have two dogs and one small child. I searched for threads on fire ants but did not find anything that discussed effective fire ant treatment as it pertains to the safety of kids and pets. I can keep my daughter out of the yard, but not the dogs. Any ideas?

PS. anybody want to buy a house in Richmond?

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Call your local cooprative extention and they can tell you what to do.

3. gspam1

gspam1 LawnSite Member

Any big box store will have pesticides for fire ants.

I have also read multiple reports on gardening forums that molasses (you can get bags at feed stores) will drive them completely away to the neighbors yards. That would certainly be safe for the dogs and kids. People that try it swear it works. I can't say from personal experience.

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Over-n-Out and TopChoice both contain fipronil as the active ingredient. This is broadcast over your entire lawn.

Once watered in, the chemical is harmless to animals and humans.

5. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems like the organic method I remember included nemotodes - small completely harmless bugs that eat other bugs. You can buy them from an organic yard store on a sponge. You soak the sponge then spray the water on the yard. When we lived in Texas we constantly battled the fire ants. If you do get them under control, don't quit treating or they'll be right back. That's why I moved back north!

6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

topchoice for complete control. fipronil is the best insecticide in years.
    if you cant spend the money use extinguish plus very good product but you have to use it in the right setting. (morning, or late afternoon after the dew is gone with no expected rain for 6 hours etc.)

7. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

Thanks to all for your help.

8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have good results with acephate aka ortho fire ant killer

9. landgator

landgator LawnSite Member