1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fire ants, how far North.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tacoma200, Jul 30, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I may be mistaken but I understand that fire ants which are a problem in the deep South are showing up further North. What is the furthest North anyone has had problems with fire ants or seen them? Thanks......
  2. GrowinGreeninc

GrowinGreeninc LawnSite Member

They are strong in central North Carolina and moving in to the upper areas like Greensboro. They predict they will be in Virginia in 5 years.
  3. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't seen 'em in Kentucky yet - but hated them when I was in Texas. If they ever make it this far, it may be time for me to move again - further north!
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Not alot of walking barefoot in the grass in the deep South I guess. A picnic on the lawn could get ugly too.
  5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

They've moved into central Okla. in the last 3 yrs. Becoming more common every year.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Had some at Chilis in Winston-Salem, NC about 5 years ago. I believe they were brought in with some sod though.
    Btw, years ago I lived in Tampa and didn't know anything about them except they were getting in my boat via the bahia grass and the outboard motor. Guy at the hardware store told me to sprinkle grits lightly around the mound. It works but, it's a slow and tedious fix. The grits swell up with any kind of moisture like dew etc... so you have to do it all the time until they're gone.
  7. seaweed

seaweed LawnSite Member

Here in maine we've got European Fire Ants; they're a little different than what you've got down south, but still very aggressive. A researcher here in maine reported that they've turned up as far away as mass. and appear to be spreading south- so if you wait long enough i'm sure everyone will have some sort of fire ant
  8. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Now this is encouraging!
  9. seaweed

seaweed LawnSite Member

ya, you know what's incouraging? The researcher commented that they had observed serveral sites that started out with just one ant mound and now they cover areas the size of several football fields. The question was asked why they didn't try to kill the ants when they were a single mound to keep them from spreading around the state (they are some what isolated right now)?- her response:"we don't want to eradicate them; we just want to observe them so we can better understand their behavior and hopefully we'll learn enough so that we can manage their numbers in the future". I wanted to give her a black eye.
  10. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I've lived in North GA all of my life. Twenty years ago, fire ants only existed in the Southern half of the state where the climate is much warmer. GA is a large state, but they now exist in every single county.

You can walk barefoot in the grass as long as it has been treated with Topchoice or Advion.