Fire ants on acreage

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by stanley2113, Dec 3, 2006.

1. stanley2113

stanley2113 LawnSite Member

I have just under six acres of land and have fire ants all over the place. Is there anything that I can do to kill them without getting a second mortgage on the house?

Thanks

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Top Choice is suppose to provide good control of fire ants. I don't have any experience with it but will be using it next year.

http://www.nofireants.com/how/

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Top Choice is an excellent product for fire ant control. But, for a six acre application, reread the part where he mentioned "getting a second mortgage on the house."payup

4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I know Top Choice is expensive but it also only requires one application a year.

5. stanley2113

stanley2113 LawnSite Member

I will look into it and if it is the best thing out there I could put it in just the main areas where we will be.

Thanks

6. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

There is an imported fly from Brazil that is reaking havac on fire ants:clapping: . I forgot the excact name but it is being used in Texas (mineral county) I think.

7. GTP

GTP LawnSite Member

TopChoice will tear your bank account to pieces. Try Advion by DuPont. I have made many customers happy with it. Two applications should give you year-round coverage and the cost is less than $25/acre