1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

FIRE ANTS Recently Posted on Face Book

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Ric, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I just read this on Face Book. It May work and I plan to try it just for fun.

When I took the State CPO test one of the question was,, what was the best way to spot Treat a Fire Ant Mound? The answer the State wanted was Boiling Water because of less environment impact. The way the Liberal tree huggers are going, Maybe we will be charging our spray water with CO2 to control Chinch Bugs.

2. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this one of those "it must be true, I read it on the net" things?
  3. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you not think it has anything to do with the 3-4 ph of the carbonic acid?
  4. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Snopes is calling BS - http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/fireants.asp
  5. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Virtually any disturbance of the mound causes the workers to move the queen PDQ.

Had a guy arounf here injecting steam into the mounds... don't know if it worked or not. He's not around anymore so I'm guessing not.
  6. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Fire ants are funny, if you disturb their nest some they will move 4 feet over from where they were and make again that puffy soil structure. Hilarious. The biggest nest I seen around here was 1 foot high by 2 foot wide.
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I am sure glad I Didn't claim this worked.

Depending on the type of steamer and the method of delivery, Steam can kill Fire Ant Mounds. Heat Treatment is big in Bed Bug control. 115 degrees for several hours kills eggs as well as adult Bed Bugs. Freezing is also commonly used in Structural Pest Control. CO2 gas is injected into cracks and crevices that harbor insects.

Many Years ago a Guy in my town advertised non Chemical Fire Ant Control with a Mowing contract. He was using a steamer. However you need a Pesticide License to control insect etc no matter what your method. The Ag Inspector shut him down.

8. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Sprinkle bait (corn grits soaked in grease & pesticide like Hydramethylnon or Indoxacarbaround) the base of an active mound without disturbing it.
  9. bugsNbows

bugsNbows LawnSite Member

Killing fire ants is EASY. CONTROLLING them is an altogether different story. In realty, all one does is population management.
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Population Management is the name of our game. Doesn't matter if you are talking Chinch Bugs, Weeds or Spiders.

A few years back the state released a wasp that was suppose to Biologically control Fire Ants. It appears to me the Fire Ant population is on the decline in my area. I am not sure if it is the Wasp or the fact everyone is using Fire Ant pesticide. ANTS in general are the Number One over all insect Pest.