Fire Ants

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by grassdude, Oct 20, 2010.

1. grassdude

grassdude LawnSite Member

Are fire ants everywhere or are we (south) the only lucky ones?

2. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

3. grassdude

grassdude LawnSite Member

Thanks but that chart was done in 1996.......i am sure they have covered more territory by now......just wondering how far north they are.

4. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Fire ants are your own little money makers. Sell your customer on Top Choice.

5. morgaj1

morgaj1 LawnSite Senior Member

If anyone needs some, we have plenty to spare in Alabama :)

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That map is fairly accurate. They've only progressed a little further north since then. I spent 4 days in Clayton this year (just north of Fayetteville) and I saw no evidence of fire ants anywhere. This past winter was rough on them and they are killed by cold temperatures. Even here in my area (Greenville) there weren't very many of them until September.

This is a 2009 map:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/plant_pest_info/fireants/downloads/fireant.pdf

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

They are all over the place here in GA, just because Richard didn't see them doesn't mean they aren't here! :)

I do remember a time when we didn't have them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah. I'm not in Georgia. It didn't get nearly as cold that far south last winter.

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

September is the time when I notice them most, though they are here pretty much the entire growing season. I'm not sure if our winters are cold enough to kill them, but they are less active in the winter for sure. I was just referring to your trip to Fayetteville.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

They are all over SC. I can't change the blades on my mower without getting bit. Usually a good bit of strays on the driveway. I did a one time mow on a yard a few years back . You couldn't stand in one place to weedeat for a second because they would be covering your shoes. I think some fire ants are more aggressive and speedy :laugh: than others. I had to jog and weedeat:dizzy:
    I read where some University produced gnats that will eat fire ants. I would rather have gnats than fire ants any day.