1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fire Ants

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Sep 18, 2012.

1. the_bug_guy

the_bug_guy LawnSite Member

Extinguish plus has a shaker can. You put it out by putting out 10 granular or there about take three steps and shake it again. Do this all over a property takes about 30 min's an acre at my pace. $15.00 in product 30 minutes in time $150.00 per acre

2. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Dumb question. With baits like advion or extinguish. The rates for broadcast are 1.5 lbs per acre. Does that mean that you spread 1.5 lbs/acre over the entire area like fertilizer or do you apply spots in a checkerboard type pattern and let the ants search them out and carry back to colony? The application method confuses me.

I was considering doing top choice spread over the entire property but I could do 2-3 bait application(a little here and a little there and maybe have another product in hand for mound treatments) and get good control with higher margins.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Turf Logic

Turf Logic LawnSite Member

Grassmaster,

I used top choice for years when maintaining hoa's. We never had any trouble with fire ants or mole crickets after the effect. Never had any call backs. I hear the generic is just as good. We always charged $18 per k. Its tough to sell but usually after the client sees the effects they never blink when the next year comes around.