Fire came out the muffler!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ol'time Lawncare, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

My 12.5 I/C quiet briggs motor shot fire out of the muffler then died in the middle of a yard today.So in my mind i'm looking at it with this big stupid look like what the f..k happened? I let it cool for about 3 minutes and try to start it again and i realize it has no compression.So i pull it and it spins and spins and spins.What happen? any ideas? For some reason i think one of the valves is stuck open leaving it in this state,NO compression. What do you guys think.I haven't pulled the head yet but i'm heading out side now to find out whats wrong. I have to have this running buy tomorrow!!! any input will help me alot!!!

2. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

you better hope its only a valve. pull the head and make sure the piston still moves. i hope its not a connecting rod.....

3. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

Ok,20 minutes later...I pulled the head.the exhaust valve seat (ring) some how came loose and stopped the valve from opening and closing. it did not brake.Now how do i stop it from coming out again??? i taped it back in to its place, but i think it will happen again! what do you guys think?

4. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

nope, it's the valve and everything is OK
    now what can i do to stop the seat from coming out again? i havn't put the head on yet,just to see if you guys no a trick.LOL thank you.

5. kingofbling

kingofbling LawnSite Member
    from dallas

Did you fill it up with oil prior to this ?

6. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

`i changed the oil a week ago.

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

You'll have to replace the seat and ping it back into place... without ruining the seating surface.

8. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

O.K. i called The man ( john deere mechanic) he said there is nothing i can do but tap the aluminum that is around the ring and create a lip to hold the ring in place. other then that The man said, get a new motor. any other input on this.I'm ordering a new motor tomorrow, it will take these places around here a week to get it in but for now i hope this motor holds together.

9. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

Thanks newz, i did that , taped it in. John deere said after it heats up the ring will fall out again! do you have any tricks to hold this in?

10. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

True B.S.

Flaming piece of junk!

Replace Briggs boat anchor with Honda. Problem solved.