1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fire Department & Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by NateRI, May 24, 2007.

1. NateRI

NateRI LawnSite Member

Curious to see if anyone out there is a full time firefighter / EMT who landscapes on the side. How good / bad do the schedules go together? We do 4 on 4 off. Any feedback about your operations is welcome.
    I am looking to cut alone for the most part, got a good lead on a 48'' walk - behind.:walking:
    Thanks --
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Huh? Do you mean you work 4 days in a row and then get 4 days off? :dizzy:

A whole lot of us are firefighters here but if that is your schedule, I would imagine it could be tough if your business grows well.
  3. thomjr03

thomjr03 LawnSite Member

Works good for me. I am a full time firefighter / Emt and we work 24 on and 48 off.
  4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Fall of 2006, Ankeny fire department, police department, HASMAT, State DNR, etc responded to a pesticide spillage. There were 12 governmernt vehicles involved
    Turned out that a three-way ball valve was defective (worn out) on our tanker unit. So it overflowed one of our tanks, causing spillage along the curb. (only one gallon at most)

The Ankeny cops showed up. They instructed my guys NOT to do anything, as the Ankeny Fire dept would be showing up soon and would take care of ther problem.

My guys had kitty litter ready to use, but they were instructed not to do anything by the Ankeny Iowa police derpartment.

The Ankeny fire department chief told us we in violation. He also said we could expect severe fines & expenses. I filed a statement with the State of Iowa regarding what actually occurred...............Guess what? No fine. No expenses. Plus a personal letter from the State of Iowa apoilogizing for what happened.

Bottom line: The police department actually STOPPED US from containing the spillage. Your tax money at work here???
  5. tazman7

tazman7 LawnSite Member

I am a poc firefighter/emt right now. I am testing to get on fulltime for a few departments in the next few months so i guess we will see...most depts around here work 24 on 48 off so that should work great
  6. NateRI

NateRI LawnSite Member

Lawnspecialties - 4 0n 4 0ff = (2) 10 hour days followed by (2) 14 hour nights, followed by 4 days off.

Americanlawn - sounds like a real mess there are many situations we face everyday on the job that fall into the category "damned if we do damned if we don't" usually the root of the problem is b/c of a lawsuit. At any rate, sorry that happened to you and your crew.

Thomjr - thanks for the input, how big is your business?

Tazman7 - Good luck with the testing the job has been good to me so far.
  7. thomjr03

thomjr03 LawnSite Member

I am Small now but hoping to grow. I am only doing about 11 with mowing and fertilizing. I am learning everday.
  8. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

I used to be a deputy sheriff and had that rotation. Worked great for me I just told all my customers that the day I would be there would slowly rotate 1 day forward each week. no problems.

But now I do this full time so I don't have to worry about it.
  9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

PD here. 4on, 3 off, 3 on, 4 off. Schedule is great. Consistent days (3 a week, plus the 4th every other week is awesome.)

Small business here. 1/2 day of maintenance and the rest installs every week.
  10. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

FD here, 24/48. So far this season its working out ok with my schedule, but last year was a rough one. On the other hand, we finally had some retirees as well which until recently was a rarity because of the DROP. Once I got myself off of the bottom of the vacation calander, things improved. Its also nice to know a few guys on other shifts and nearby departments to help out in case you get stuck at work or need an extra hand. Good luck! =o)