1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fire Extingishers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gman2310, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Gman2310

Gman2310 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Make sure you have them and they work. Had 2 other landscapers burn down there equipment because they didnt have them. On guys workers burn down his new toro when i caught fire because of the leaves, instead of grabbing a hose, his worker tried to put it out with a backpack blower, spreading the fire more. ANother company had his guys set the back of his brand new f350 rack body, brand new billy goat 20hp vac, new 42 in stander, all burtn to a crisp. Just went out today and bought them for all trucks and trailers. I dont want to see my stuff burn to the ground
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

this is a great reminder. last summer I upgraded to one of the nicer fire extinguishers from LOWES......cost about $50! :dizzy:

I hope I never have to use it!

3. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

If you (LCO's without extinguishers) were D.O.T. COMPLIANT you would have a 5 lb extinguisher in your truck already!!!

4. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

I dont suggest this, but you could barrow one from the mall parking garages or any other big underground parking area, they have at least 20 of the real big ones that are ABC coded. I went to my old valet job, and my buddy hooked me up with 4 of them!

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

They aren't THAT expensive, just buy some.

Years ago I had to turn on of them on my helper, he lit himself on fire while trying to prove that gas fumes were NOT concentrated enough outdoors to ignite. Idiot ended up in the hospital with 2nd degree burns on his legs and feet.
  6. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

7. Psych-O

Psych-O LawnSite Member

$ 50x4 is alot of money to me. why pay if my buddy the manager of the valet gave me 4?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, until you get caught with stolen property!! If your friend "hooked you up" I'm sure he didn't pay for them either, and when his company goes looking for them, they will probably report them stolen. I would guess that the fine, bail bondsman and time lost cutting yards cause you're sitting in jail for a day or so, would still be cheaper than just buying them in the first place. Oh, and not to mention your friend probably losing his job and being arrested. Still sound FREE? ;)
  8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. If you need something then buy it. I don't believe in stealing from another business just because they have more than me or something I want. Simple rule to live by: if it doesn't belong to you and you want it then ask the person/business that owns it if they'll give it to you. If you think they'll say "no" or if you ask and they tell you "no" then you don't have the right to take it. If you know your friend took them without paying and you accept them...you're now an accessory to theft which makes you a thief in the eyes of the law.
  9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

What you call "barrow" most of us would call STEALING!!

If you can't afford to BUY a couple of fire extinguishers (cost of doing business) you should either:

2.) Get out of the business!

or both.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like good friend! Let's endanger everyone and everyone's vehicles around a fire that may happen to break out in the parking garage. What's more, let's think about this a moment...Here, the guy is a thief, and yet here are all these people entrusting him with their vehicles and their property within them. Hmm...I hope you feel good about your "hot" fire extinguishers, knowing that it put others in danger. I'm sorry, but I just have no tolerance for this. Wouldn't it be something if it was your father's truck or your mother's car that caught on fire, and the good samaritan who could've prevented alot of damage runs toward the pole with the fire extinguisher sign on it only to find that some idiot had stole it - to give to his lawn service friend, yet. This is the kind of thing that I laugh at when I se idiots like "car parkers" get busted on closed circuit cam because they are too much of a moron to realize that there is security in these facilities, too.