1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fire Extinguisher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MCGRAIL LAWN, Mar 24, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

your back on Chris :D
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i am not all that up to date on my types of extinguishers but has anyone thought about carrying various types, as opposed to just one?? i am sure witht the wide variety of equipment and products we cary that your every day extinguisher wont work on everything. how about a dry chem in addition to a water?
  3. Leaves and Lawns

Leaves and Lawns LawnSite Member
    from MA$$

i have 2 behind my seat mounted on back wall.and a first aid kit.a little while back,a friend of mine was driving along and ran into a car fire,he grabbed his and started to put the fire out but the person inside the car could not get out! :eek: so he hucked it through the window and pulled her out.ever sinse then i allways carry at least 2.
  4. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Which type is ok to keep in a truck and trailer?Or on a mower
    Does the all that shaking and vibration mess them up or no?
  5. jbt

jbt LawnSite Member

Be sure you know how to use a fire extinguisher before you need to! If you have to read the directions at the time of the fire,it may be too late!!! The small extinguishers, (2.5lbs) will only spray for 8-10 seconds.:blob2:
  6. GreenGiant

GreenGiant LawnSite Member

Just a note; I don't think they're meant to be kept in the sun.

I mounted one on the passenger side A-pillar and by the end of summer, there was no pressure left, nothing would come out!
  7. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

get one that is rated for A, B and C fires. an ABC extigisher is a dry chem extigisher. The rattling shouldn't have any exect on it, just check it one in a while to make sure everything is ok.
  8. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Keep 2 in the truck and one on the ZTR.

9. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

on a dry chem the shaking is actually a good thing if i am correct because they teach us to shake the extinguisher before using in the fire service. but no one is yet to answer m question about the types, a i know a dry chem extinguisher wont be able to handle all fires that we use so what other types of extinguishers do you use in the field?