1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fire Extinguishers, who has them?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Shawns Lawns, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Who has a fire extinguisher in their truck or trailer or even mounted to a ztr or tractor? If you do have or use one which one do feel would be the best for our situation? I don't really have a lot of experience with them but was thinking of getting one as part of my standard equipment. Thanks :waving:
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have them in all our trucks
  3. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have one in the tool box of the truck. Happy to say I have never needed it!
  4. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I have one in each truck. Actually came in handy one day a couple summers ago. I wasn't working at the time but me and a buddy were rolling down mainstreet and a mail man was stopped in the middle of the road with smoke coming out of the window. I ran over and sprayed down the dashboard with the fire extinguisher just as the fire trucks were rolling up!
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Check with you state's DOT.

In MN, and others, it's the law that it's fixed mounted, accesible to the driver in ANY commercial vehicle.
  6. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

same in Indiana ..... D.O.T. requires them to be mounted in all trucks ( 5 pd min) YES MOUNTED!!!!! no rolling around in back and we also have them mounted on the trailer
  7. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

One on the truck, and one on the trailer. The DOT says you have to have them here as well, although I would have them even if they did'nt make us.
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm not sure if its the law here in Illinois but I have them anyway. Came in handy last winter when a subs plow truck cought fire.
  9. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

I have 1 in each truck.
  10. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

We have them in all trucks. Unfortunately, last fall when our leaf vac caught fire, that trucks extinguisher didn't function. Customer came running out with one. Yeah, it a little embarrassing, well, a lot embarrassing.