1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fire Extingushers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SpudsM15, Apr 5, 2003.

1. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

What type of fire extinghusers do you guys carry with you in your trucks, and what type do you put on your mowers...

I am wondering because when i went to the store today there were only home, office, kicthen....
    does the vibration effect them or the exposer to heat?:confused:
  2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have some of them kind in my garage, truck etc. I just picked up a foam type for my trailer, its for gas etc. I don't have any on the mowers.
  3. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

If your going to get an extinguisher for your equipment, get an ABC rated one. It will put out any fire on a piece of equipment except for combustible metal (ex. magnesium), which is a D rating.
    You should periodically tap the nozzle end in the palm of your hand to loosen the powder so that it does not cake up and will flow freely when you need it. We do this on all the ones on our fire trucks.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have mine mounted on my trailer, opposite the gas cans.
  5. M&E LAWNS

M&E LAWNS LawnSite Member

hey spuds,

governor mcgreevy,s boys pulled me over for a vehichle inspection one morning, and to my surprise i was fined for not having an extinguisher in , or on my truck. something to do with commercial plates. you can bet that now all of my trucks have one. a little abc one that can be found in any auto part store, or home depot. the officer said that they are cracking down on landscapers this year, so be careful

m&e lawn and landscape
  6. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Bought mine at Wal-Mart....... 20.00 I think, or less......
    Kidde for automotive use... comes w/ bracket, ABC type. (dry chem)

Got 2 in the truck (They're small extinguishers)
    and one on the Lazer:

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Not trying to be judgemental Navig8r but.................the location of that fire extinguisher seems to be in the most likely place a fire might occur. It's between the gas tanks and above the engine.............how would you get to it to put the fire out?
  8. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Homer, not judgemental at all...... just an honest, intelligent, thoughtful observation...... Isn't that what LS is about?... helpin each other out....... Thanks!

Kinda expected a comment, and let me tell ya it took me 2 1/2 hours to mount it, 2 hours figuring out where it would fit and not be in the way, 1/2 hour to mount.

Anywhere in front was in my way big-time, or in the way of a moving lever, deck lift, footplate, etc.......

I began to figure anywhere on the mover was beter than in the truck, and If I can't reach 5 inches from where I'm sitting to pop it, I'm probably leaving (running) without it anyway. :blob2:

.... The HP does not have as much room in front of the seat area as its larger cousinsAnyone with other suggestions/photos of mounts on a Lazer HP, Id like some other ideas
  9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Hey....if all else fails it might discharge all by itself!

I can see your dilema and I give you credit for installing one somewhere............I haven't so not much I can add..........but I can still run like a bat outtahell when I'm sceert:blob2:
  10. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Enclosed trailer, mounted on the left just inside the side door.
    Truck, in back of the drivers seat.
    Both are ABC types.
    Never had to use them and hope I never will.