Fire for dethatching

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ricktaco, Feb 16, 2009.

1. ricktaco

ricktaco LawnSite Member

For the past several years, I have burned the dead layer of zoisia off of my lawn when it is too thick. This works pretty well but I was wondering if anybody knew more about this. Any information when to burn, any drawbacks, better methods, etc... Thanks, hope you all can help.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Being from the north I cannot comment on Zoysia per se, but we burn here in the spring just b4 living plants break dormancy.
    IMO, burning and leaving behind the potash for a nice greenup is a far better idea than raking up and removing it.

3. ffemtmcd

ffemtmcd LawnSite Senior Member

Early spring - like in the next 3 weeks - I don't think I've ever seen a homeowner burn his own yard though - u have acreage??

4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Good question for your local University Turfgrass Extension People. I remember my grandfather always burned off our Buffalo Grass lawn when I was a kid and it is a first cousin to Zoysia.

5. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a guy that just did this to his st augustine, claims it works great. I will take some pics next time I am there and then take some more pics in a few months once the grass grows back.

6. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

We used to do it to Bermuda during dormancy...had great results. The burn bans have eliminated this possibility for us anymore, so no more being a pyro.

7. EagleGrounds

EagleGrounds LawnSite Senior Member

How do you do it? Do you spray something over the grass then ignite it or what?

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Once you ignite a spot and there is not enough mass for the fire to spread, then I would think burning is not your best way.
    I like to move mine around with a handheld blower.

9. REDNAX

REDNAX LawnSite Member

Used to watch the "dad's" gather with a few extra long hoses and do a few yards on a Saturday morning; very=early 1960's Dallas. City soon put that idea to rest, BUT it produced a great looking lawn, albeit a few weeds.

A friend still did his out in the countryside in the 1980's. Invariably the best-looking lawn later in the season. Were I to do this, in Texas, I'd burn then core-aerate & fertilize just before spring rains hit in March.