Fire in the mulch!

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by TJLANDS, Mar 15, 2006.

1. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Finished an install on Monday, got a call on Tuesday that there was a fire in the mulch, fire dept was actually called. No joke.
    Ended up some nitwit thru a cig into the mulch which caused a piece of the drip irrigation to start smoking.
    Heres a pic of the melted pipe.

cmc9.jpg

2. TJLANDS

3. TJLANDS

another one... like that dormant sod look?

cmc7.jpg

4. TJLANDS

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

All I have to say is
    pull thet mulch away from the basew of those trees at least 4 or 5".and it has nothing to do with fire I know!

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We had that same thing happen at one of the HOA's we take care of. Same thing w/ the cig. Damn smokers!

chris

7. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

VOLCANO MULCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I had a mulch fire occour at one of my customers houses I was mowing at! There was no one home and I don't smoke but sure as heck I went around the front lawn and was in back mowing and I smelled smoke!!! I went back around front to investigate and saw the mulch in about a 3 foot circle just smoking and glowing red... WTF??? Is all I could think! I dont know if spontaneous combustion is that preavelant with mulch but I thought I had a case. More I thought about it though, more I started to think it was probably a piece of carbon that came out of my muffler on the 23 hp Kohler..... Hence the need for "spark arrestors" huh???

This mulch was that really fine shreaded stuff. I hate the stuff, it's just about 3 months from being dirt and when it gets wet it really never dries out and rots everything and itself. Oh, also, it's quite FLAMABLE when it's dry!!

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

yea, but that is the best mulch for the plans... releases organic material so much faster....