1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fire on Board!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfquip, Sep 4, 2000.

1. rats5656

rats5656 LawnSite Member

2. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

While bull dozing leaves. The leaves get pushed against the muffler and then catch on fire. Next time i'll have to be more careful.
  3. Alan

Alan Member

I've had twigs get caught in the muffler shroud on my Exmark, never to the flame stage, but smoking. Also had a bagger with teh auxiliary engine and have had leaves get around the engine. I used to hang a 1 gal. sprayer, filled with water, on the bagger, just in case. Used it a time or two to put out smoldering leaves around the engine.
  4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Had two fires start off the muffler on my Walker while doing leaves last year. I always keep a close eye on it and I can smell smoke quick. And of course I am fully insured in case it gets away. Have to always be careful when driving through deep leaves.
  5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Cantoo we had the same problem with our Walker mowers in fall cleanups 2 close calls, we are now prepared. Still nothing beats those walker mower for those fall cleanups up here in Maine
  6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Huh? When did this happen? I can't believe what I am reading. [​IMG]
  7. The Mowman

The Mowman LawnSite Member

One time we were doing leaves with a truck mounted vacumn when some of the mulched leaves caught fire on the muffler of the vacumn. This was a little more serious due to the fact that there was a whole truck box full of ground up leaves sitting a foot away. I can't imagine what would have happened if there had been a fire in the bed of the truck.
  8. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a FE, but now you have me wondering if it would put out a big fire. I put it behind the seat of the truck, but maybe it should be on the trailer. Both? It's a pretty cheap insurance policy, what do you guys think?
  9. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Both!! My insurance agent told me that mowers burning is so common that a lot of insurance companies won't cover them for fire. You have to get a separate rider for replacement of mower if totalled. That woke me up to keeping an eye on them.
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

How come you guys are so afraid of fire?