1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fire Pit from SRW block?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by "Ground Control", Sep 7, 2007.

1. "Ground Control"

"Ground Control" LawnSite Member

I have a client that wants me to build a fire pit with a small paver seating area around it. He wants it to be natural gas. I have built two fire pits out of SRW block in the past and have not had any problems (they were wood not natural gas). I have heard to use fire brick and not to use fire brick. What is the right answer?
  2. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess it depends how big in diameter the pit is. A large diameter pit will not get as hot as a smaller one, so you may be safe without the fire brick. Consult with the manufacturer of the gas fireplace.
  3. PowerPlay

PowerPlay LawnSite Member

Try using fire mortar on the inside of it. 1 part portland, 1 part sand, 1 part fire clay. It's cheaper and actually looks nice when you smooth it out over the blocks. It has always worked for us.
  4. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I did one last year and made it out of Nicolock mini colonial wall block and lined with fire brick. no problems so far. the customer is burning wood in it and made it clear that he likes to build BIG fires. overkill is better than underkill.
  5. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

I assume this would be good to use when repairing small chips and crack lines in a fireplace (in house)?Is it hard to find fire clay? Any help would be appreciated.
  6. PowerPlay

PowerPlay LawnSite Member

Yes, it should work for repairing fireplace. I am not a mason, but we have used this mortar in fire pits and it has worked great. I have it in mine, and the fires get very hot (melt glass hot). Try finding it at a brick supplier in your area.
  7. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks . I'll try that