Fire Pit made out of pavers???????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by NJemerald, May 25, 2003.

1. NJemerald

NJemerald LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Has anyone every built or heard of a Fire Pit made out of pavers...
    I saw a photograph of one, But no manufacturer's name could be found...
    It was a kit that included approx. a 30-36" dia. paver circle, about 24" in height w/ a metal ring insert that had hooks for two metal grills to cook on.

If anyone has info or links, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
    Bryan

2. capital

capital LawnSite Member

We Build ours out of natural stone, looks more rustic , go to your local supply yard. Will be easier than fired brick.

3. ACut AboveLandscapin

ACut AboveLandscapin LawnSite Member

Yea, There is a company called Pyzique who has block and a plan that goes with it.

www.pyzique.com

Good Luck

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Do not make a fire pit out of concrete pavers. It is not safe. They will pop and throw pieces of concrete everywhere when heated. You would need to line the inside of the pit with fire brick or some other refractory material. I don't know what those things are made of that they mentioned in the previous post. However, if made of concrete, don't use them either. :(

5. ACut AboveLandscapin

ACut AboveLandscapin LawnSite Member

The ones in the previous post come with a liner if you look at the pictures in the website, you can see it.

6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do not make a fire pit out of concrete pavers. It is not safe. They will pop and throw pieces of concrete everywhere when heated.

Not sure what you are talking about. I made a fire pit in my back yard with concrete nursery stone and have had some hellacious camp fires over the years with no concrete spalling.

7. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

There just happens to be a n article on this very subject in the June issue of The Family Handyman. well in this case they are retaining wall stones but it is basically the same idea.
    As for cracking and exploding I use field stone for mine and they occasionally pop with some force as well. Never has been a problem so far.

fire pit.jpg

8. Darwin

Darwin LawnSite Member

If the fire is hot enough for an extended period of time the standard pavers could very well explode in a very damaging fashion.

If you have any connections with anyone in the refractory business, definately contact them about materials.

Duane

9. earthtool

earthtool LawnSite Member

I'm 100% with Darwin on this one. It's all about the moisture content in the stone it steams and then explodes.

10. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

my friend just did on of these. He got a paice of steal pipe or somehting like that and dug a hole and placed it in the ground and back filled around it then he put about 3-4 feet of pavers around the whole thing. it looks pretty good, at least i think so. As for the exploding I have no idea on that one!?