1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fire Proof Mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by grassassassin, Aug 14, 2002.

1. grassassassin

grassassassin LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of a fireproofing spray that can be applied to mulch. I have a property whose mulch seems to catch on fire 2 or 3 times a year due to residents throwing cigarettes off their decks. If there is no spray can anyone think of an alternative to mulch. This is a college town so rocks won't work because along with the cigarettes getting thrown off the decks, so do beer bottles. Thanks for your help.
  2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have posted this same question to my local fire drepartment and they told me there was nothing they knew of.
  3. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

I saw in a previous post where people were using shredded rubber (tires) for mulch. Maybe do search on this to find the post. I'm pretty sure a cigarette won't catch a tire on fire. Besides that, I'm of no help to you.
  4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

ive heard that redwood tree bark is fireproof never tried to light it but was told that in redwood forest fires the inside of the tree burns not the bark
  5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i wish there was something that could be done cause lord knows im tired of putting those garden fires out. rubber is good for playgrounds never heard of them used on a garden though.
  6. aquaturf

aquaturf LawnSite Member
    from MA

Good question, maybe the customer would put in a sprinkler system for the beds. That's the best I can offer, sorry.....
  7. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

How about a nice ashtray, or butt container?

A few small signs might work too.

That's all I got. sorry
  8. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

I was thinking along the same lines as aquaturf lol
  9. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

I was involved in an interior landscape project during the 1970's that had a spec involving the fireproofing of bark chip mulch. We ended up soaking the mulch in a fire retardant used for fabrics used in curtains and furniture. It was so long ago I don't remember where or who supplied it but I would check with a fabric manufacturer.
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Asbestos Mulch?