Fire Rock outdoor fireplaces

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Hokie84, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Hokie84

Hokie84 LawnSite Member

Has anyone constructed an outdoor fireplace using one of the kits from Fire Rock?

2. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I liked the one from www.pyroplace.com I'll be buying one for my house in the spring as my first project.

3. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

I just don't understand the whole, put an extreamly large object blocking the view of the rest of my yard that will only put off enough warmth for 3 or 4 people. I have always been a fan of firepits because you can sit around them on all sides and they do not block your line of sight. but hey, how many trends make sense anyway. Don't get me wrong though, if they pay for it, i will build it....

4. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Captains,you could easily make that "pyro" fireplace for a whole lot cheaper than that.

5. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Well don't leave it at that....What have you done. I'm not a true mason, so my fear would be the fire box not working correctly after construction. :cry:

6. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I am not a true mason either and I have never built one,but it does not look to difficult to make at all. In a couple of the pics on that site,are fireplaces built with cinder block walls with brick attached. The big thing I would think is to get the proper flu.

The small fireplace is listed for $1745. I am just saying that outside the flu,it would cost very little to make,or,so,I would think.:confused:

7. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

The flu is the only thing you get in those kits. Then you can build them out to whatever dimensions you want with block, and then veneer. Firerock had a display at MAHTS, looked very easy to do. if you were a real mason i'm sure you could cut the angled pieces where the flu closes in, but I'm pretty sure that's the whole point of these prefab kits, anyone can do it.

8. badassgrass

badassgrass LawnSite Member

9. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Those things are a joke. If you can not do masonry work yourself, find a real mason and have him build you a real fire place. There is no shame using subs. Nobody can be a expert at everything.