Fire Truck destroyed my LAWN!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CrystalCreek, Oct 2, 2008.

1. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, so I have a customer that lives across the street from a large fire house in my town. Been cutting it for seven years with never a problem. Well I show up this morning and there is a mower swallowing tire rut in the lawn. So I get out and look at the rut. It's about 14" deep and about 12" wide. About 7 feet long. (How heavy is a fire truck? Like a billion pounds:laugh:) I notice a young fire fighter standing near the entrance of the fire house. So I walk over and ask if he knew anything about the rut. He SNAPPED!!!! Starts yelling that he protects this town and BLAH BLAH BLAH. So I ask if the fire chief is around and he said he would be back in ten minutes. I said that I could wait. So I start cutting and the fire chief shows up. I see him walking towards me so I meet him half way. So much nicer and much more pleasant. He said that one of the new guys mis judged a little. We both laughed. He even said that a couple of the guys on his crew didn't want to admit to the damage. I bit my tongue. He asked if I could fix the problem and than directly submit the bill to the fire house in his name. I said that it would not be necessary. It was only a few bags of dirt and some seed. He was a little taken back. I asked if instead of money payment, could I have a ride on the truck. I have never been in a fire truck and have always wanted to pull the horn chain. He smiled and said it would be his pleasure. We have a time set for Sunday. He is even going to give me a tour of the fire house. I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I feel like a little school kid.

Sorry for the long post. I re post after the ride.

2. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going to say that the guy you spoke to first was the one that mangled the lawn.

I hope you have fun on your ride. Sounds like you're going to have a blast.

3. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

I like stories with happy endings!!!:waving::cool2::waving::cool2:

4. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

CAN'T WAIT!!! CAN'T WAIT!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!! Just hope they wash the tire and rim before mud goes flying everywhere:hammerhead::laugh::hammerhead::laugh:

5. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

Let me apologize for that FF's rude behavior first of all. I know if it was me or a lot of the guys I work with, it would have been fixed without question.

Good luck with the ride...it's the best job in the world!!!! IMHO of course.:)

6. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

have fun on the ride. it sounds sweet

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I spent a lot of time working with and partying with firefighters in my youth. My conclusion was that it attracts a higher than typical proportion of excellent people but ironically also a higher than typical proportion of knuckleheads who are attracted by the prospect of getting a little respect or pay just hanging out at the firehouse. The former carry the latter and do most of the actual benefit to society. Obviously anyone who trenches a neighboring lawn with the truck then doesn't immediately make sure he fixes the problem falls into the knucklehead category.

8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

bingo!

I love drivin firetrucks!!

9. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

haha i bet kcfire will be happy with your move.

10. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

nothing better than driving the big red truck.