Fire Wood

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by RICHIE K, Oct 19, 2004.

1. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

? FOR YOU ALL. I WAS THINKING OF SELLING SEASONED FIRE WOOD. I HAVE TONS OF IT IN OUR YARD. I SAVE IT FOR MY HOUSE BUT I HAVE TO MUCH. THE PAST FEW YEARS WE HAVE DONE MY TREE WORK THAN NORMAL.
    I WAS THINKING OF SELLING IT FOR $135.00 PER PICK UP TRUCK LOAD. ???

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

2. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

That seems high, but then again, I'm in Tennessee, you're in Jersey. Where'd you get that price, is it about what the newspaper ads have?
    Is it mostly Oak, or mixture, or what, that makes a lot of difference, too.
    Crawdad

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I sell firewood here in MN.

$100 for a stack 4' H x 8' L x 16" pieces. Delivered and stacked. Mine is all oak, don't have a WHOLE lot of other hardwood in this area, maybe some Elm here and there.

A standard 8' pickup bed, stacked in, to the top of the bed rails, no sides, I'd get $135 for.

I see guys in the paper this year are starting to get the prices up, anywhere from $90 to $125 now this year for what I've sold for $100.

4. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

How much do you really think you can fit in a pick up with no sides? I don't even think you can get halk a cord in it. $135 for a pick up load is high.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

As pointed out check with the local nursery’s or the newspapers to find the going rate. Here in Northern Va. I can easily get $180.00 plus per cord of seasoned oak. It all depends on what price the market will allow. I love getting paid to remove a tree and haul away the debris. I can then turn around and sell the firewood and make even more money off the tree removal job!

Gravely_Man

6. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Wow...glad I don't have to buy my wood in the twin cities. Up here they are selling a pickup load of oak from $60-$75 a load. A cord of oak in 8ft length runs $60-$68 plus delivery.

Buck

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think selling wood is that profitable. Now if you are just trying to get rid of a little extra that you have lying around, then I guess that's ok. But it just seems that your hands have to touch the firewood so many times, before you actually get money in your palm.
    First it needs to be cut, then it needs to be stored somewhere, most people that call want it delivered... so then you have to load up the truck, deliver it, and then unload it again and stack it. Lots of work I think for a few "Grants."

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I can buy that same amount of wood here for $45-$60

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

We used to get a cord of firewood for 40-65 stacked but depends on type. Now demand is way down for it because of the no burn days impossed here. We have pollution really bad in the winter months here so the wood is not really in demand. Back where it's really could I imagine you could get 100 a cord for it. Guys who delivered ours were tree trimmers and used a flatbed Top-kick for delivery. A pick up might be too small.

10. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm selling cords for $60-70 + delivery. White oak, hickory, maple

my cords are 4'tallx8'longx16"-18" pieces