1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fire Wood

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by RICHIE K, Oct 19, 2004.

1. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That amount of wood is commonly referred to as a "face" cord.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You're exactly correct Jodi...nothing easy about it. Very little profit IMO is why we stopped doing it.

3. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's right, you have to find the going rate. In my area I can get 2 cord of split, indoor seasoned hardwood (about 4 pickup loads) for $85, delivered. A pickup load is not very much even if it is stacked vs. piled. I don't know how they make anything at it. It is so cheap because many people in my area can cut their own and the people setting the market are dummy's with chainsaws. Heating oil has sky rocketed, firewood should have gone up too to meet the demand, but it hasn't.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I believe the below is accurate for some but not for all. I am getting paid to remove the trees. I then haul the good wood back to the yard and unload the truck and split the wood and pile it. I then wait for the call from Mrs. Smith asking for a cord of wood. I go out and load the truck and deliver. I have only had to touch the wood to load, unload, split, reload and deliver. I am getting paid twice for the same wood but yes I am handling it several times.

Gravely_Man

5. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Correct. A very low profit labor intensive venture.

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

If he has it laying around and people are comming to get it and they unload it themselves when they get home it could be profitable.

7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I save the wood from trees I take down during the summer. Pile it up and run it through the splitter in the winter..

Gives me something to do when I'm bored and not plowing. Splitting by hand is tough work but running them through a splitter is cake.. Grab a chair, turn on the tunes, and go to work. :drinkup:

8. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne LawnSite Member
    from NJ

There is a company near where I live that sells full cords delivered for just over $200......and they sell out every year. I also see a lot of peple buy those little plastic wrapped bundles with 4 pieces for $5.00. It still amazes me.

I collect my own and split my own. Last year I burned about 2.5 cords. I think my MTD log splitter is one of the funnest piece of equipment to run. Like qualitylandscaping said, "I pull up a chair, turn on the tunes and go to work."

I may actually try to sell stacks this year. I think more people around here burn wood for the looks rather than the heat....

nriddle77 likes this.
  9. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

We burn about 12-15 cords a winter here. We heat the house, shop, & hot water with an outdoor woodstove (boiler). It heats water that gets pumped into the house and shop, works great. Had 15 cords delivered for this season, don't have time to cut it down myself. I cut about 7 cords from our woods last winter but got to be a pain having to skid it out with the snowmobile...too slow of a process. ]

Buck

nriddle77 likes this.
  10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Richie, a cord of wood (not a "pick up truck load") in this area goes for anywhere from $100 of mixed wood (and it's probably not fully seasoned), up to $185 for a full cord of seasoned hardwood. Most charge more for delivery and/or stacking.

I'm right across the bridge from you, so these prices should hold fairly true for your area too.

If you invest in the equipment to package bundled wood, you can get 3 to 4 times as much per cord.

From the research I've done, I think there would be money in firewood IF done right. Meaning, having the proper equipment, and if you can get the wood for free or next to free.

nriddle77 likes this.