Fire Wood

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by RICHIE K, Oct 19, 2004.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I COMPLETELY agree that it's alot of work for your return.

However, if I'm just sitting around all winter waiting for it to snow, then it's a nice little bonus income.

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

One other idea.

I usually throw in a pack or 2 of Fatwood Firestarters to my every year customers.

It's something to set me apart from every other guy "selling a truckload of firewood".

I say Fatwood Firestarters, because over the years, I've tried different firestarters from making my own, to pretty much any brand I can find around this area.

These are pretty neat. It usually comes in a 3 lb bag, and it's just sticks of Fatwood.

You break one in half, light the two "middles" on fire, and stack 3 pieces of wood on top. Usually gets the wood going with one match. If not, it must have rained on the wood. :)

Just a thought about the rest of you guys could do. It's about $3 / pack for these, but I just tack on an extra $5 for each one I leave behind.

I started out by saying I usually just throw these in, because, unlike mowing or snowplowing, 7 out of 10 times I'll get an extra $10, $20, dinner gift certificate, stuff like that, so I keep those customers happy.

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

120/cord here

4. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

a guy down here will buy a chord of green pecan for about 130 as long as you stack it for him at his place.

thinking about renting a trailer and taking about 3 chords down to him one of these days.

5. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

forgot to say that it will be worth my time, cause i usually have to rent a trailer for my job on the weekends working for a tree guy, and we always knock down big pecans and stack them on the curb, so it'll take nothing, just gas going about 45 miles pulling a 5-6k worth of wood.

6. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

i myself and family sell firewood all winter can make good money on it . They get triaxle dump for around 400 of logs and they have the setup for hands free and it loads the truck for them to . But its not only a winter thing i and they sell to camp grounds 120-180 for a cord not stacked only dumped 90-110 for a pick up all year long not as much in the summer but alot .

7. fearthedeere

fearthedeere LawnSite Member

wow, In the redneck area here in Southern Indiana, I could only demand $40.00 tops plus delivery. Most other guys were charging $25-$35 plus delivery.

8. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

in my area 135 a cord is actually not bad at all!!

I've seen a half cord neatly stacked in an 8 ft. pickup bed. But my friend uses a 1 ton dump truck to fit a cord. Dump trucks are nice because you don't have to unload neccessarily.

9. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Does he stack it to or just dump ? i wouldn't dump it if i had to stack makes more work and boy is wood cheap down there it would pay me to truck it in and still make money 35 to 45 it cheap

10. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

This may sound like a stupid question, but i don't know the answer too. How do you season firewood? Back to the topic.. I recently bought a log splitter and its been paid for allready. Just our montly heating bill every month costs 800-900 for a month! With the fireplace going in the living room it brings it down to 350 a month.. so its been good for us. Me and my brother can do 1 cord per hour if not more. I sit on the chair and control the levers and he puts the logs on the splitter. Its the life.. lol best thing is that i don't have to pay him. The only problem i have it finding wood to split..Well.. can someone tell me? What is seasoned wood? Is it when it dryes out?