Fire Wood

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by RICHIE K, Oct 19, 2004.

1. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

pete, yes, like i wait at least 6 months for my mesquite to season before i use it to bar-b-que, when its ready, its 'seasoned' when not seasoned, its i guess concidered green.

2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Thanks.. i have about 3 cords split now.. they should be ready for the winter i guess..

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

My woodstove is the only source of heat in the house.Firwood should be cut a year before concidered seasoned,(meaning been cut one season ago)
    You stack it up on 2x4's or a rack of some kind where air can get around the stack,leave it out a season in spring and Summer,cover before it begins to rain in Fall and you have seasoned firewood.
    Don't leave it on the ground ,don't stack it up against the house and don't stack Pine bettween two Pine trees using them as your end posts cuz that is a perfect situation for Bark beetles.
    After that said I suggest you take your savings in elect bill and put it into a good firplace insert or woodstove.
    Fireplaces are very bad conductors of heat and you will waste as much wood as you burn in them.As far as warming the house goes and keeping it that way,a fireplace is lousy at that. :D

Here it's pushing$200.00 a cord

4. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

i get $175.00 a cord for oak/hardwood mixed. that isnt delevery or stakcked just picked up sell around 100 cord a year. looking to buy a cord king firewood processor.

5. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

what do you gross a year in everything you do ?

6. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

guestimating this season i should gross around $110,000.00

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Don't forget split and seasoned (thou that last just takes time). Even with a powerful wood-splitter, it takes hours. Had a friend of mine tried it out, the guy had tractor-trailer loads of the stuff, wood lined up everywhere, all split and everything but after it was all said and done, he told me he'd never do it again: Same problem, just too much work for the dough.

8. topsites

Yeah but that's redneck wood.

9. topsites

Try smaller gas-stations... By smaller I mean franchised operations rather than corporate (of course the franchise is still part of the corporation). Here we have a guy operates about 18 Rennie's service stations and another guy operates Seibert's stations.

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

All I can say is read a few articles in Tree Care Industry, and Timberline magazines and it looks to me like there's plenty of money in it. Seems like it's a matter of having the right equipment, and not being afraid to price it at what's it's worth.