!!!!fire!!!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Gatewayuser, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

My 01 f-350 caught on fire this morning with it just sitting and the engine off something to do with a brake wire. Luckily I have fire extinguishers in all my trucks so I was able to put it out before a lot of damage occurred. So make sure to always have them laying around, this is the 2nd time I have had to use them on a vehicle.

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Truck still operable? Saftey First!!!

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Scary, isn't it?
    Only once have I had a car catch on fire, there's hardly time to think.

On that note, NEVER add oil to your engine for at least 30 minutes after you've shut it off :)

Because if you spill any and it drips on the exhaust manifold, I've seen it where it is so hot that it ignites the oil and this also causes a fire.
    The only good news is, this type of fire doesn't last very long but that's only if there's no rubber hoses or wires in the way to catch.

4. Gatewayuser

No its not. Luckily I have another truck hopefully I get it back up and running by tomorrow. I am on squad duty tonight and it has all my emergency lights on it which is not good.

5. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Fire extinguishers are the best equipment to have on a truck. I have had to use mine twice. Once while jumping a friend's battery in his car, the jumper cables went bad and caught on fire. We unhooked them fast and put out the fire. A second time, I had a load full of dry wood chips and shavings in my dump trailer and someone through their cigarette out and it landed in the trailer. No damage, just lots of smoke on both occasions. Sorry to here about your truck.

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Faulty cruise control switch. Ford has known about them for years.

7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

What Grassmechanic said. I thought there was a problem with that era Ford trucks...a friends Bronco went up the same way. I'm glad you caought it early.

8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

This is what I suspect too. not uncommon on Fords. get it in for the Recall at a dealer to get that fixed. and do it ASAP.

9. B2E

B2E LawnSite Member
    from VA.

Hope its not to expensive to repair.

Never had a vehicle catch, but did have the main wire harness on my MF 245 catch on fire. No extinguisher, luckily I had been tilling so there was a lot of soft earth. Scooped handfuls under the cowl panel until it went out.

About $600.00 later back in business. Lesson learned! I carry and ext. now.

10. Gatewayuser

It has something to do with my brake reservoir.