Fire!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenQuest Lawn, Jul 3, 2001.

1. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well I had an interesting day. It is very dry here in west Michigan. After mowing 2.5 days worth of lawns in 6hrs(skipped alot) I was driving by an account that has irrigation but he won't turn them on (he just opened and doesn't have enough $$$ for water).

Anyway I turn the corner and the lawn is smoking. Someone threw a cigarette butt out the window and started the lawn on fire!

Well after I stomped it out I took this pic. Its wasn't bad but could have been. as you can see its toast.

He has since turned his sprinklers on :D

lawn toast.jpg

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

YIKES! that grass looks like crap! good luck with this acct. since the guy refused to care for the grass!

GEO

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wow! It really IS dry over there! It's not nearly as bad over here in Flintown.

4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I agree If he is still cheap next year I will drop him. As far as the dryness. Even the lawns that water ALOT are showing signs of browning. Its been a bad couple of weeks here. The temps have dropped, that should help.

I believe once he has his bus. up and running he will add all services. He has only been in this building for three weeks.

Runner,

The lake has a bad habit of breaking apart the rain as it comes across. Then it seems to reform to the East(probably by you

:) ).

the lake enhances snow but breaks up the rain.

5. This happened in 1995 here in my hometown. Our local Taco Bell was just re-landscaped. They used redwood mulch as a ground covering. I went by there in the morning and all looked well. Came by later that evening, one of the middle islands was completely black.(5’x20’) Some client probably threw a cig in the mulch, which caught on fire. Of course, this was a smoldering fire, no flames. Nobody ever noticed it on fire. I kid you not. I wish I still had the local newspaper article about it. The reason it made our local newspaper, the local FIRE department went over there that day to inspect the inside buildings fire sprinklers. When questioned about it, they thought was a neighbor barbecuing.:confused:
    John

6. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

If he can't afford water, will you be anxciously awaiting his payment to arrive?

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

It eventually grows back.
    Just not fast enough.

Good stop.

firemanfightsback.gif

8. BrandonGT

BrandonGT Guest

Now that is some serious dry grass. I never saw grass that dried out.. then again most of the people around here water their lawns. :jester:

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Greenquestlawn, At least he relized that the lawn needs water, unfortunatly he had to relize it that way. If anything take the picture arround with you and show it to your other customers that dont water and tell them it could have been their lawn and thier house.

Kinda made me think again why to stone and not mulch islands/ parking lots.

Had a burning bush (no pun) and a yew destroyed last year at a Andersons (roast beef chain arround here) becasue of a tossed smoke. Was right against the building, at least it was a brick wall.

If you ever go to Dennys look in the bushes most of the time thay are slightly chared.

10. powerreel

powerreel Banned

You should have taken a flaming lawn photo then turned on the irrigation system... then taken the after picture!;)