Fireball VS RBG

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Sep 16, 2007.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Why would I pay $100 more for the Fireball grinder over the RBG? The RBG looks like a winner to me. What about you? Who sells these two brands for less?
  2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

no takers?
  3. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an Oregon blade grinder. Personally, my recommendation is to skip the over $500 dedicated blade grinder and just use a $100 bench grinder. You can get the same results with the bench grinder. Especially if you make your own jig for a consistent grind. Just make sure you get a bench grinder with 8 inch wheels or larger.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure whatever model you get that it's at least 1hp, spins 3450rpm (not 1725), and can fully sharpen your blades to the center hole.

Fireball's diamond dresser is built in and works very well.

There is NO bench grinder made that can do what my Fireball 300C can do.
  5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree if a person is going to use a bench grinder (or make a blade grinder using a bench grinder) the speed should be 3450 and have at least an 8" wheel. I've been thinking about making a dedicated grinder myself.

Harbor Freight has a 2 HP grinder with 10" wheels for just under $120.00. I know by using at least an 8" wheel or even a 10" --- the larger the less hollow ground bevel.

I've read different posts which some fellows say use the hardest stone you can get and use 24 grit. Magna Matic's site recommends a softer stone and I believe about 36 grit.

Magna claims the reason a bench grinder turns the metal blue is because of too a hard stone. Magna claims the normal wheels on a bench grinder are for tool sharpening and what is needed for blade grinding is tool grinding stones.

What do you think ?
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The info about the wheels is exactly right. The softer and rougher of stone, the better for doing mowing blades. The harder more finer blades are for doing finer work.