Fired because of Dollar Spot

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Aug 11, 2006.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate doing this but sometmes you have to vent....

Our area has been very dry and hot this Summer, so Bermuda has had constant problems with Dollar Spot as well as turf that just died out. One customer of mine who has no irrigation kept complaining about the Dollar Spot. When I offered solutions he wasn't interested.

So the day after I just spent big money applying his late Summer application of Barricade, he fires me because "the turf looks bad and there is no point paying for something that looks like crap" He also says that he realizes I cannot make it rain.

I wish someone would plant some Dallisgrass seed in his lawn. Some of you will know what I mean by that :laugh:
  2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

I have about 500 acres of Dallisgrass in pastures around my house. I'll send you a barrel full.
  3. LawnDawg65

LawnDawg65 LawnSite Member

Try a high rate of nitrogen on dollar spot in bermuda, can't do anyting about the rain but with proper water it will work, no fungicide required.
  4. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:hammerhead: i hate this time of year, this is when all the bitchin starts, i love " what r you doing different lawns looks brown" or yeah but i water 15 min a zone once a week" sometimes it makes you wonder why you do this stuff. tony
  5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

The key is: What are you going to say when he calls you to come back? Maybe later this year or next year but it's highly likely.
  6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I do 3 other homes on his street. Have had them for 3 years.

When we started with his last season, it took additional spraying to get his lawn in the same condition as his neighbors. So I never got the chance to fully recoup my initial investment. Sometimes it takes a few months to things under control. The next two rounds is where I would have made it back with good profit.

I will not set foot on his property again. People like him make me think more and more about requiring a 12 month contract for applications. Fortunately, most are not as difficult to work with.

I told him the Dollar Spot could be fixed with fertilizer and/or fungicides, but he didn't want to spend the additional money. He knows the situation is not my fault, it is just a convenient time to pull the year end cancellation stunt. Some homeowners think there is no need for Fall and Winter treatments.

He will probably hire TGCL next year and he won't have Dollar Spot problems since they spray Urea so often. And he won't understand why slow release forms of Nitrogen such as Nitroform will not feed the turf when the soil moisture is low and microbial activity stops, which is why he has Dollar Spot now. His neighbor's TGCL lawn is green while his is is not. Nevermind that fact that his neighbor is retired and waters the hell out of his lawn.
  7. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

It is the nature of the beast. We get all the credit when the weather is good and the lawns look green and lush no matter what we do, and we get the blame when the weather is bad and despite our best efforts the lawns are burning up or full of disease.
    I was chased off a burned up lawn in the middle of a drought with temps over a 100 for 40 some consecutive days with a butcher knife because of how "I" killed her lawn when I sprayed it last time.
    I remember yelling out as I dove into my truck and locked the doors, "Take a look around you lady, everyones lawn in your nieghborhood is burning up and I damn sure didnt kill them all with your last app!"
  8. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

To this day I feel there are professional non paying Beeeaatches. They hire you than find a excuse not to pay ya. They normally are "professionals" in their field Attorneys are some of the best non paying customers I've had to deal with. They know for the minimal dollar value we get stuck with usually i=under $200.00 it's not worth our time to go after them. They also know some other swing dick LCO will come along and they will start the screw festival all over again.

Never done it but round up and sahara in a late night turf party has crossed my mind a few times.
  9. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice to hear other peoples problems. I am glad to hear I am not the only one. I am trying to get used to the idea I can't make everyone happy. I had one cancel just a few weeks after the first application. Like one application is going to solve all her problems. We had several weeks of 90+ temps and had one custumer just raging on me to spray his weeds. Had to vent a little also.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i had one call and tell me to come check the lawn its got brown spots but it was to hot to walk all over a 7k lawn and let me know if they were in the front yard also so it was fine for me to sweet my azz off and go look :dizzy: