1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fired because of faith?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenJay, May 20, 2008.

1. GreenJay

GreenJay LawnSite Member

After cutting this one catholic church for $90wk over 5 years I decided to ask for an increase to $120.00.This is not a small property usualy takes an hour and 1/2 to cut and weedeat with three people. instead of calling me and trying to negotiate I heard from 2 friends that attend the church that they found someone from the parish for $80 per wk and they start this weekend!?! The priest nor anyone else has called me yet to let me know officialy.
  2. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

well i doubt it was faith i work for a church and they are always tight on cash.... i think that the banker steals there money....
  3. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't say they fired you because of faith. They found somebody cheaper, and it was somebody within the church. Probably some retired guy who wants a little something to do said he would do it. For the past few years, my church's deacons sort of took turns and it became more of a hassle trying to figure out who's week it was or if anybody was covering for the guy out of town. Last year, they paid one of the deacons to cut every week and he gladly turned it over to me this year.
  4. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Did they tell your friends to tell you or was it just gossip? If it was just gossip I would keep showing up.
  5. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Thats why I wont work with churches anymore. Their budgets are VERY tight no matter the faith. I do some volunter work at mine but thats as far as it goes.
  6. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I've heard that the wholesale cost of jesus has gone up. The resellers are in a real pinch.
  7. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Jesus has always been free to anyone who wants Him. All you have to do is ask.
  8. GreenJay

GreenJay LawnSite Member

Pretty sure this is not gossip. At least they could have called me, I have been with them for over 5 years.
  9. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know...back in the day, I went to some 3 plate sermons, and I've heard of some major shunning to low payers.

Gas I have to pay for, fairytales....not so much.:)
  10. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

$90 for 1 hour and 30 mins of work with 3 guys ???? I think it was gods work that got you AWAY from that job.

If you paid 2 guys $11 an hour $32 (roughly)
    Gas for 1.5 hrs of running equip for those 3 guys $12
    Gas to get there (lets say you are close by) $10
    Wear and tear, ins and depreciation yada yada $12

Do you know now that it was your faith that kept you there cuz you obviously dont know ur costs !