Fired from Full Time Job

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CWilliams, May 24, 2005.

1. CWilliams

CWilliams LawnSite Member

My husband was fired from his full time job yesterday. We started our lawn care buisness this year and have received numerous residential accounts. We have also received a large 3 year contract that starts in July. We are trying to decide if he needs to get another job or just mow. We really didn't see this coming and he had no plan of leaving his job for several years. So, needless to say we are shocked.

How many of you were fired and used it as an opportunity to grow your business? We would love to hear your stories.

Thanks!

2. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

I never was fired then started in this field, but was just going to suggest yall do what yall feel is right. Maybe keep looking for another job, yet grow the business while looking. If you find one, great, if not you ll have growth in ur business. You say its both of your business? Do you have a job other than the biz too? As cheesy as it may sound...follow your heart. It sounds like yall are off to a good start. If yall wanna ad more lawnsm advertise like crazy and do a great job. Anyways, whatever you decided...good luck
    EHO

3. CWilliams

CWilliams LawnSite Member

The only job I have is running this business! My husband is the type of person who goes above and beyond in his work. That's why we were so surprised that he was fired. Unfortunately, the manager was having a pissy day and took it out on him. He won't have a problem finding another job (he's a car salesman). We just don't know if that's what he needs to do or not. Health insurance is so expensive.

Your stories are appreciated!

4. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to Lawnsite......sorry to hear about your situation......don't stress to much about it, things do happen for a reason......always remember, one door closed for you and another one opened.....you will do fine....

5. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

who was it that said "you have nothing to fear but fear itself" (Truman or was it Rosevelt?)
    anyway,
    he can sell cars and make a good living from it. but....can he sell cars while thinking about lawncare? Or....can he build a LCO while thinking about selling cars??

he very well might be able to do both. but i'd suggest to focus on one or the other and just go for it.

6. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Can you take your husband off the payroll for your company for a while? If you draw a salary from the company instead of him, he could probably collect unemployment while he decides if he is ready to do this full-time.

There is affordable health insurance out there. You can get all of your bills from last year: doctors, prescriptions, etc and see what they would have cost with no insurance and what they cost with your previous insurance. Once you do this, you can make apples to apples comparisons to other policies.

We have a High Deductible Health Plan, which is not the same as insurance with a high deductible. Our premiums (my wife and myself) are $108 per month. Nothing is covered until we meet our deductible ($5000) and then everything is covered at 80% until we have paid another $5000 out of pocket and then everything is covered 100%.

We also get to put $5000 per year into a tax free savings account for medical expenses. If we don't use it, it rolls over. If we never use it, we can pull it out tax-free at retirement.

It doesn't sound too good at first, but it is much better than what we had when I had a "real" job. We were paying $300 per month for that coverage. Our premiums now are $200 less, so that covers the first $2400 of our expenses. Prescriptions and doctor visits are more, but not much more. Birth control was $15 and now it is $30. Doctor's appointments were $25 and now they are $40.

At the end of the year, we will have spent a LOT less than the last few years. Find out what you paid for everything last year and what it would have cost without insurance. That's the first step.

7. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Well,

I wasn't fired, but I did quit! Saturday is my last day then I'm officially full time business owner/operator. As said above, fear can be destructive and hold people back. If you decide to make it happen with just the lawncare I applaud you, it took me a while to take the plunge as well but I've never felt more confident.
    As for benefits, try out NASE (National association of the self employed). They have some great rates.
    Best wishes!

8. pagefault

I would recommend that you stay away from NASE. They say that they get you great rates buy putting you in a group, but they don't. They give you individual insurance plans with one specific company (Mega Life). That would be fine, except for one thing: if you get sick, they will raise your rates. You won't be able to get coverage somewhere else, because whatever ailment you have will be excluded. There are scores and scores of complaints about NASE and many other of these "professional associations".

http://www.selfemployedweb.com/nase-wsj2.htm

http://www.selfemployedweb.com/mega-al.htm

http://www.jameshoyer.com/problem_association.html

http://nasesucks.org/

http://www.steveshorr.com/nase_details.htm

http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2004/01/18/premium_deal_with_complications/

9. pagefault

BTW, your husband wasn't fired, he was liberated.

If he can collect unemployment, I think he should. Even if he can't, if you can afford to have him focused on the business full-time for the rest of the season, that's what I would do. When the season winds down, take a look at your finances and see if he needs another job. Maybe he could get by with seasonal work in the winter.

I'm planning to work through Christmas at the new Cabela's down the road (knock on wood), buy some new toys and then hit the lawn care full-time again in February.

10. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

October 2002, two children (4 and 5 yrs old at that time). Searching for work and any other option to earn a living. I was 41 and always wanted to work for myself but always worked for someone else. I ran an add for home improvement (winter time) and started finding jobs. As spring came things fell into place, my newly found customers, fellow church members, and friends starting asking about grass cutting. Had 7 grass accounts quick. Bought a piece of crap 48" w/b on ebay for $300. Got it home, took it apart, sandblast, paint, all new hardware, belts, tires, and finally the new motor, $1200.00, like new, ready to go. Started those seven. Soon seven was fifteen.

Now winter is coming so I take a job that will get us through, Safety Cordinator for trucking/courier company. Spring 2004 I retain 12 accounts. Job is working out, I figure I can do what I have part time and see how my number of lawns grow. Get to 21 and much more side work. July I buy a van (already had p/u truck) and quit my job. Van is because I will now do sub-contractor deliveries with that same company, my schedule. Finish that season and do deliveries through winter.

Spring 2005 buy new (used) hydro w/b mower, new trimmer, edger, trailer to service my 40 accounts, and alot of mulch, clean-ups, lawn repair, etc... Have a wonderful nephew, home from college, that now helps me do the other then mowing work.

So far so good. Life is good, I've been blessed.
    I will keep plugging away.
    Smooth and slow.