1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fired my first customer today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kingbros, May 14, 2010.

1. kingbros

kingbros LawnSite Member

A couple weeks ago she calls and says "so $30 is a little more than I was paying before, will you weed the flower beds also?" My dumb ass said yes. Last week she calls and explains she found weeds in her beds. I explained that I had allotted 45 minutes during the first cut of the month for the weeding, which is more time than my hourly rate. I have done so many things for this lady and not charged her, I almost felt like telling her to go stick it. Today she sends me and email saying that her grass was clumpy, as the rain was coming down. I decided not to go over there, which is 30 minutes out of my way, and toss more grass around her yard.

Instead, I gave her the pink slip and feel damn good about it.
  2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Kinda your fault though in a way. If you said you're going to do the job it should be done right. If you can't do it right why say you will do it? I understand limiting your time there for the money but you should have been up front by saying its going to take more than one visit to get it straight or w/e.
  3. GreenHammer

GreenHammer LawnSite Member

Sounds like she's got your number, she took kindness as weakness and took you all the way down the road.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Just have to find the right customers, it takes time.
  5. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys remove weeds out of the flowerbeds anyway, the old fashion way?
  6. JoeHop6299

JoeHop6299 LawnSite Member

Cover the flowers with a 5gal. bucket and spray the beds down!!
    Then next week pull the weeds, they be dead by then.
  7. Buddy Buds

Buddy Buds LawnSite Member

Agreed to do a ladies yard for $55 eow. The yard was a mess. The first cut would have taken 3-4 hrs. to do it right. Her previous company just never showed back up. I pull up,take my edger up one side of the drive, go around back and do the patio, come back around to do the other side of the drive. I wanted to make sure she left the check where we had agreed. She left the check but also a note saying she got a better price and the one cut was all she needed me. I do several yards in this nice neighborhood. I was not going to spend hours cleaning this yard so someone else could just walk in and do it cheaper. I got back in my truck and left.:nono:
  8. VAMower

VAMower LawnSite Member
    from VA

no good deed (free work) goes unpunished....
  9. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Even if you had kept her, she would continued to be a pain, and probably tried to get you to do more for her. IF you explained all this to the lady and she still was asking you about it, sounds like she is a dumb ass and you dont need people like that! I love that feeling when I dump a PITA yard or customer, but usually try to have a replacement lined up first.
  10. kingbros

kingbros LawnSite Member

Part of me will always second guess my judgment, but the facts add up to a more profitable situation and less stress, both of which I seek.