Fired One Today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nitrotim, Apr 19, 2006.

1. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I fired a customer today and feel great about it. I had this customer who was a PITA last year and I approached this year about a fertilizer program and he says nope he aint interested. So last week I cut in his neighborhood for the first time this year and he sees me gets in his car and leaves not saying anything. I didn't cut his grass last week and last night I get a voice mail asking me to call him. I called this morning and he asks me if I cut his property last week and I said no. He said he had a broken sprinkler head near the top of his drive (where he parks his car)> I told him my machines haven't been on his property this year. He says ok can I look at it and I said I would if I had a chance today since I was in his development.. He then says don't cut until he tells me I say ok. I signed two more people in his area today and I called him back I tell him that my schedule is full and when he is ready for his lawn to be cut he will have to find someone else to cut. ( HE also told me he wanted bi-weekly service this year). First he tries to set me up for damaging his sprinkler head which I could almost guarrentee he ran over and then he cuts me to bi-weekly and then when his is ready like when the grass is 8 inches tall. I ain't going there this year with people and when I told him he would have to find someone else you could hear a pin drop. I felt great about this decision because I have to many customers who treat me well and always compliment my work to have this A-HOLE always break my balls about something.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I made that choice this year also, to not let those kind of customers on my schedule because they foul up my mood which then carries with me not just to other yards but here on this forum as well.

If nothing else, it helps my nerves tremendously, I feel somewhat calmer overall.
    It also helps me keep an obective outlook, I always say anger clouds your judgement, why I don't take my own advice I could not tell you.

3. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

Good move.

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

It does feel good when you get to the point where you can pick and choose who you want to work for. I dropped 3 of my customers this year. They were each $30/wk mowing jobs, but when I told them my prices were going up $5/wk due to rising operating costs they didn't think it was fair or simply didn't agree with it. I told each of them that I'm sure they'll be able to find someone who will mow for $30...just not me. Now that gas has gone up to $2.99/gal. their new price will be $40/wk if they call back.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

YEA!!For you Nitro....to heck with those kind of customers...You handled that quite well.It feels good to get to the point in your biz where you can say NO
    huh?Congratulations!

6. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Smart choice!!!!

That bi weekly thing, I dont see how anyone can take on such a thing.It takes up a slot for a reg weekly mowing.

7. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

There's no sense in doing work for someone who is likely going to try to mess around with you again; it's just asking for trouble. I think you made a good call.

8. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

Trying to set you up on a sprinkler first thing this year? What a loser. You made the right call.

REV.

9. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I don't take customer's for granted and I try to retain everyone. I have some PITAS but they don't squabble about money they just want things done their way and I don't have a problem with that. I just refuse to be nickle and dimed to death like this guy was trying to do. :weightlifter:

10. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

On the other hand if you find nice people to replace them with ,do so.Let the
    competition have the PITAs