1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fired ---- Twice!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sprout, May 5, 2004.

1. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

:D Two customers side by side, one I've had for 8yrs the other 5yrs both fired me this week. Heres the deal. Both yards on a per cut basis, both crappy-crappy (75% weeds 25% St. Aug) lawns from day one. I always tried to tell them,"hire a spray service" NO!, well let me set up a fert/program. NO!. Mrs B " I don't want to spend money to feed weeds". Mrs J " We can't afford it". So I just gave up, came cut the grass, sent my bill and kept my mouth shut. Now all of a sudden they want someone that will do a better job!!!! For all you new people, these things happen. Don't take it personal, people are the same everywere. Some you can work with some you can't. I thanked both for their past business and wished them luck. Tomorrow is another day.
  2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

things happen for a reason, don't sweat it. i lost a few this year too, some my fault, most were not.
  3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Just lost 2 myself yesterday.
    One guy bought a mower on his own, and I expected this one, as we talked about it at the begining of the season.
    The second lost her job a few months ago, and her stepson moved in with them, so he'll be doing it for them while he's there.
    I left both on good terms, and know they'll keep me in mind, and even spread the word for me while I'm not even working for them.
    Like you said, you can't take it personal.
    I'll get two more to fill those spots, that's all
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

And people also lie. They probably found a person to do it cheaper and just couldn't be honest with you. Instead they want to make it like it was your fault. Some people never cease to amaze me.
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Jodi is right. People don't mind telling what they consider a white lie or one that will spare your feelings or theirs. People are fickle and you need to let it run off your back like water off a ducks back. You were looking for customers when you found them, go find some more. I listen to Change from Van Halen a lot and it charges me up for the next customer. NEXT!
  6. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, most of the time, they find someone cheaper and come up with some lame excuse to put the blame on you. A very important piece of advice: Never, and I mean Never take anything personal, it's just not worth it.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Every year I loose jobs since I can't mow all year around. I have guys who mow my lawns when I am at school, but they haven't done a good job of calling my clients back and doing them fast enough. No other way to do it for now though.
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

sprout,keep the good attitude and you will do fine.