1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fired up!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frank2, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Frank2

Frank2 LawnSite Member

What are your top three things that can really fire you up out there. Some things really get my temper flaring in the hot weather.

1) Bumping the trimmer head just ever so slightly on the ground and having 4000 ft of line come out.

2) Mowing in semi-wet conditions and hearing that sound when you know your mower is going to dump out all the clumps of wet grass trapped underneath. It always seems to happen at the worse spots.

3) Backing trailer into driveway at the end of a 12 hour day and having it f-up time after time no matter what you do.

4) Blowers and Wind....just don't mix.

well that's four, but some days these little things can really set me off.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing that really get's me going is showing up to cut a lawn and finding out it's already done, or customers who stop me from mowing because they say it doesn't need it, or they decided to save a little money and cut it themselves this time.

I get so P.O.'d that I just load up and leave and then send the cancellation letter, because if I said anything it wouldn't be nice. I've dropped 3 customers this season for these reasons.
  3. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I hear ya on #2. I spent the better part of the afternoon and the evening dealing with that same exact thing. :dizzy: I've been doing lots of deck scraping and double and tripple cutting here because of all this rain we've been having.
  4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

backing 3 day old trailer and bearly tapping the tool box and bust thge whole light assemblie off. :mad:

Also trying to back trailer then some woman comes speeding by 40mph in a 20 zone nearly hitting me. :angry:
  5. Three things that light me off:

1) Hitting my head on a tree branch while mowing.
    2) Hitting my head on a tree branch while trimming.
    3) Hitting my head on a tree branch while blowing.
  6. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

#3 & #4 man here.

The blower and the wind thing is one of the few things in life that just make me want to kick the crap out of something (kids bike on tennis court, trees & shrubs etc)

Backing up a trailer at any time when your tired is a very time consuming aggravating thing. Some nights I just give up and park it in our paddock.

Undoing the outer rapper on a new pack of trimmer line and the hole thing unraveling is also one of my wanting to kick the crap out of something things. :angry:
  7. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

1) Hitting my head on a tree branch while mowing.
    2) Hitting my head on a tree branch while trimming.
    3) Hitting my head on a tree branch while blowing.

One word "CHAINSAW" :eek:
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

#1 Wet grass from people watering when they aren't supposed to.

#2 Showing up and it's been mowed. Oh well, I bill them anyway, their mistake.

#3 People parking right behind the gate when it's down, that really gets me. Solved that with cones, haven't had a problem since but it used to set me off.

#4 Low hanging branches

#5 Dogs
  9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

1. A customer who decides to be an arse.

2. A neighbor of one of my customers who decides to be and arse.

3. People's driving skills in traffic.

4. Tree branches that I walk right into.

5. Mower getting stuck in the lake.

6. Running out of gas

7. Expecting payments to arrive on a given day and everyone decides to be late.

8. Kohler fuel injection problems

9.Something that won't crank.

10. Ending up where I need to be and realizing I left something at the shop.
  10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow! How big is that trimmer head, isn't it really heavy?