Firefighters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by griffin16, Mar 19, 2003.

1. griffin16

griffin16 LawnSite Member

Just curious,
    How many Firefighters are doing lawn maintenance as a second job.
    I started last year when my chief cut our overtime.
    It looks like I might be doing lawn maintenance full time before long.We have been hearing a lot of talk about LAYOFFS lately.

Just one guy trying to make a living.

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey, i am a volunteer and do lawncare in addition to that and school. to answer your question i know many guys who do it, and it is working very well for them. best of luck to you

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

4. FiremanMike

FiremanMike LawnSite Member

Been a full time for just over 2 years now. We have been looking at budget cuts too.....very scary for the rookie class. Local 366 is our union. This is my first year cutting....I'm hoping to start a business my son can carry on with me when I retire (in 25 years!!!)

5. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

that is my goal to become a firefighter some day I am joining the volenteer right now and I am taking the emt course next fall and hope to go full time then

6. bmrdude

bmrdude LawnSite Member

Just started my 15th year as a career firefighter/engineer. Doing the lawn-care thing on my days off for the 2nd year.

7. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I have been a reserve Firefighter/EMT Intermediate for going on 8 years now ! I am on Hiring lists a couple of places and It does not look good for the future as far as full time openings gos !

8. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

I have been a career firefighter/EMT for 6 years and I this will be my 4th season landscaping. I work two 10 hour days followed by two 14 hour nights and then I have 4 days off.

9. SWR11

SWR11 LawnSite Member

I am a paid volunteer. It's nice, I get to wear many hats in a run of a day. Keeps me juggling.

10. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

I have been a volunteer for 20 years in my hometown and a paid firefighter in another county for 3yrs and doing lawnwork on my off days for about 2yrs. The 24/48 shift is great for this work except when it rains on the off days.:rolleyes: