Firefighters

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Fire/Grass, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Fire/Grass

Fire/Grass LawnSite Member

I have a couple question here for the firefighters that I know do this line of work as a part-time job. Please let me know how many clients you all are able to mow for and if they are commercial or residential. Also what kind of shifts you are working and if you get a kelly day or not. I currently work an 24/48 without a kelly day and I'm just trying to get a feel for how many clients that I should try to take on. I'm only interested in doing residential and I will be doing all work myself. Most lots I'm looking at are between half and one acres. Thanks for any help.

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

we work 24 on 24 off for 5 shifts , then 6 off in a row. i have 15 now and can do in a day and 1/2. mostly residential, some commercial

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

24/48....every 11th shift is an EDO....I also had 15 residentials last year......somtimes 1 day sometimes 2 ...depending on the weather and my fatigue......

Things go slower when I am up on the meatwagon all night...

Derek

4. Florida 5 Star

Florida 5 Star LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Im a fire fighter paramedic that works 24 48s and I have a property management company and a real estate license. I end up cutting about 80 residential each week. It fluxes in the winter I do less but still about 50 consistyently each week. I do have 1 employee and short of him cutting pool encolsure screens once in a while he is great. Cant drive but thats another story. Mind you that my accounts are rather small. I can have most done in 15 minutes all by myself (cut, edge, weed wack and blow. The beds are done every other week)

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

man, I don't see how you guys can do it. I would be so tired

6. Joe25

Joe25 LawnSite Member

I work 2-2-4. 2 days, 2 nights 4 days off. I cut grass on at least 3 of my days off and sometimes prior to my 1st nightwork. Last year I had 20 regular lawn accounts and I also did alot of landscaping.

7. Florida 5 Star

Florida 5 Star LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Sleep is an option lol
    The pay generally stinks but the benefits are great how many time in your life can you really say that you have made a positive difference in someones life, Well if you were a firefighter you could say that almost every day. We are not getting rich but it depends on how you measure wealth.
    Saving a life is very rewarding and it cost very little.

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have never been much of a sleeper........but being up 4,5,6, times in a night after 10 or 11 pm can make the next day a little rough.....

On top of that I have a 2 and a 4 year old at home that I play Mister Mom for while my wife works....They are the reason for all my work.

I get alot of gratification from a well maintained property.

Derek

9. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have the 24 on, 24 off, on, off, on 4 days off. Last year I had about 6-7, no problem. One of my LT's had 35 by himself last season. Another has 65-80, but has a couple guys work for him. I am looking for 25-30 this year with some commercial. Residential bids are starting to come in.
    Be safe!!

10. Fire/Grass

Fire/Grass LawnSite Member

Hey gentlemen, thank you all very much for your replies. They have all been very helpful. Keep them coming