Firemen schedual info needed

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Jun 2, 2008.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Right now I have 12 residential accounts thats pulling in about $12k for the year. I was hoping to make this a full time job but lets face it, everyone needs a backup plan. I have 3 more semesters for my degree in business. I was also considering being a firemen and doing my lawn business part time. Being a firefighter would allow good benefits and with the schedual, I could still manage 30 accounts.
    Question: How do you firefighters manage your accounts? Are they only weekly? only biweekly? Do you have to search for good customers that will allow you to be off 1-2 days each cut because of work?
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

SO your going to be a Business manager, a firefighter, and a LCO ?

come on.........
  3. stevenf

Ill be honest with you. I am 20 years old and went after a business degree only because I had no clue as to what I wanted to do for a living, but I still didnt want to waste time doing nothing.
    I ventured into the LCO for the second year now and (the competition around me) I cant see myself doing this full time.
    A friend of mine is a firefighter and his benefits and schedual caught my eye.

BNR LAWN SERVICES LawnSite Member

I work 24 on 48 off and with that I cut three days a week all my customers know what I do and they are good with it. They know that there grass will get cut Mon or Tue, Thur or Fri. I have had no complaints yet. I have had some people ask about 10 day cuts but I don't do it. Each of my three cut days I'm in different areas so it doesn't work.
  5. stevenf

So you only deal with weekly customers? How many accounts do you manage like that?

BNR LAWN SERVICES LawnSite Member

28 Lawns and have other customers for fert, dethatch, and aeration.
  7. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i think its easy to maintain lawns w/ a 24/48 schedule. i wouldnt have but one of my 2 days off set for mowing, weather, and other problems...also it allows you to be more "weed" out the pita's nad get good easy going customers taht understand your schedule. most of mine are very understanding and think its pretty cool.
  8. stevenf

Now-a-days, What would you say a starting firemans salary would be? How long have you been one? Are your 28 lawn accounts your primary source of income?
  9. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

Depends location.

In our area, starting is 20k-35k. The local fort, and some power plants have their own brigade that work 24/48 schedule. They pay better, BUT the fuel prices off-sets their higher wages.

But benefits are an added bonus.
  10. HandyHomeMedic

HandyHomeMedic LawnSite Member

What's wrong with that? I work 2 f/t Paramedic positions (which requires enormous continuing ed. hrs.), am a p/t instructor of a 1/2 dozen courses, father of three and an LCO.

Firefighters typically work either 24 on 72 off, 24 on 48 off or two 10 hr. days, two 14 hr. nights and 4 days off.

It's doable. Steven F, pay no attention to the nay sayers and dream stealers. They live only to broadcast their negativity and lament over that which they have never attempted or accomplished. You should never take advice from anyone who hasn't walked the walk before you. "A man with an experience will never be a slave to a man with an opinion."

Good luck