FirePits.....ILLEGAL!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cedarcroft, Jan 25, 2007.

1. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I just finished building a nice patio with a firepit and sitting wall. jobe came out beautiful(except for some quality control issues with the Nicolock product) Then yesterday I found out that the town I live in just made it illegal to have a open fire pit. They have even made chimineas illegal. now if you want to burn anything outside you need to have a 20 FOOT CHIMNEY!!!!! firepits, and any type of outdoor fires are against town code. effin town sux!!

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

even "recreational fires"...??

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Is this an air quality thing or have there been problems with out-of-control fire pits starting other fires or other safety issues (i.e., adult beverages leading to people falling into the pits) in the past?

4. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure what prompted the code change, but I would imagine it is to allow for contained ash control. a 20 foot chimney will cool the ash and not allow it to scatter into other peoples property. we live in a relatively densely populated area and I assume there must have been problems with hot ashes going onto other peoples property. either way it sucks.

5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Would a 1/4" mesh screen over the top qualify as a closed fire?

Next thing ya know, people will be b!tch!n about all the 20' chimneys in town:hammerhead:

6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Cedar, I'm in Huntington, too...I hadn't heard that. I'm still goiing to use my chiminea, what can they really do?

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

the same thing they do when you break other laws I guess...

8. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

does this law apply to pre-existing fire pits or are they trying to prevent new ones from being built?

9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

You still have to get caught using it to get in trouble.
    How can it be illegal to own one. "it's ornimental" as the cop looks at the pile of wood next to it

10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

How friendly are you with your neighbors? that will determine weather or not the township comes over to fine you.