1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fireplace on slope, should engineer be involved?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by CK82, Jul 11, 2013.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

The project at hand construct a larger fireplace/wood box/ & water feature off the back of a patio. I have attached a picture of a similar fireplace & a picture of the site. We planned on setting the structure on 8" compacted 3/4" limestone, 1/2" rebar reinforced concrete pad 5" thick, with a grid of 4ft. deep x 5" footings tied into the slab with rebar. The structure will be retained and will be sitting on a Versa Lok retaining wall with geogrid rolled out 5ft. This wall should not exceed 3ft. in height.

My question is, should I be talking with an engineer, or is this completely feasible based on what I described?

Thank you for any professional information.

Reinen Paint Doc..jpg

Reinen Paint Doc. 1.jpg

Attached Files:

2. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

I'm also open for any recommendations on the base requirements, geo grid, footings, etc.

Thank you!
  3. cnymowing

cnymowing LawnSite Member

I would not risk doing this without an engineer.
  4. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You're fine. Just make sure to take care of the water and compact everything properly. I think you might be worrying to much. An engineer would be helpful if you had a
  5. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Serious situation. Say if the water from the retaining wall might drain into the foundation, or if the wall will be holding back something like a parking lot. In ga we don't have to worry about freezing to much (I can't see where u are on my phone) but I have always done 2" of rock, 2" of m10 then a 4-5" concrete base, and that's if it will be a high traffic area. I have only been doing hardscapes for 3 years, someone like dvs or rj will probably have a better answer.