1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fireplace on slope, should engineer be involved?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by CK82, Jul 11, 2013.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Hey,

The project at hand construct a larger fireplace/wood box/ & water feature off the back of a patio. I have attached a picture of a similar fireplace & a picture of the site. We planned on setting the structure on 8" compacted 3/4" limestone, 1/2" rebar reinforced concrete pad 5" thick, with a grid of 4ft. deep x 5" footings tied into the slab with rebar. The structure will be retained and will be sitting on a Versa Lok retaining wall with geogrid rolled out 5ft. This wall should not exceed 3ft. in height.

My question is, should I be talking with an engineer, or is this completely feasible based on what I described?

Thank you for any professional information.

Chris

Reinen Paint Doc..jpg

Reinen Paint Doc. 1.jpg

Attached Files:

2. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

I'm also open for any recommendations on the base requirements, geo grid, footings, etc.

Thank you!
    Chris

3. cnymowing

cnymowing LawnSite Member

I would not risk doing this without an engineer.

4. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You're fine. Just make sure to take care of the water and compact everything properly. I think you might be worrying to much. An engineer would be helpful if you had a

5. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Serious situation. Say if the water from the retaining wall might drain into the foundation, or if the wall will be holding back something like a parking lot. In ga we don't have to worry about freezing to much (I can't see where u are on my phone) but I have always done 2" of rock, 2" of m10 then a 4-5" concrete base, and that's if it will be a high traffic area. I have only been doing hardscapes for 3 years, someone like dvs or rj will probably have a better answer.