Firestation new landscaping

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dlandscaping, Jul 23, 2004.

1. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

I was doing some cement work at two firestations outside of the city and they built new garages. They want me to do new landscaping, because of connections, and they have not taken any other bids. I want to know what would be a good price range to keep it in. One town is rich and I am not sure of the other. The average house is in the 300k range. This will go around a new 6 car garage front and back. Any input is appreciated.
  2. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

I am sure that if you stay between $7.00 and 3.6 million you shouldn't have any problems :D. Hope this helps.

Not sure about everyone else, but we would need just a tad more information.
  3. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I did work for my local fire department, charged em for materials and labor was free, well this was a vol. fire dept.

4. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Ok one job is bigger than the other. Think of a 3 car garage back to back. Now do the front and back including new beds, and lawn install. There has been heavy equipment riding on the turf area the last few weeks. I am not sure what the other job intales yet. I am hearing this from my brother who said hed find out more today when he goes back out.
  5. kbenvironmental

kbenvironmental LawnSite Member

You are asking for a stab in the wind at pricing.
    At least give us sq footage and an idea of the layout you want to install. Sod? Plants? Drainage? what is it you need? Is the area 10,000sq ft or 100,000sq ft? All new materials or just sprucing it up a bit? Any hardscape, curbing patio, decks, or just plants and grass? I'd be a nervous wreck not forming a firm idea to work with, then adjusting to meet the requirements and budget.
  6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like it's new construction on the stations.... At that, I don't think I would want to be involved with it if they were going to be "giving" me the job.

Fire departments are a funny thing. Most are a government entity, and as such are subject to many things. When it comes to new construction, one of those things is an open bidding process, the other is prevailing wage.
    I don't know how those departments are set up, but the only way I see around this is if they are actual fire "companies" that contract with the municipality. Even then, they may still fall under state mandated guidelines.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the law, but I'm pretty sure that if it's a maintenance item, the department can hire whomever they please. New things usually have to be bid upon.

I'd hate to take a job like this, and later be involved in some dispute about the process not being followed....

That being said, we just bid on a new station landscape install, with grass seeding included. Something like 70 or 90 trees (can't remember exactly), ~30 shrubs, and 1 1/2 acres of grass. Our bid came out well over $40k; I'm not giving exact numbers dollar-wise.

7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Figure out your materials and labor like any other job. Are you trying to figure out if you should give them a break or hit them up for extra? That is up to you and your personal ethics or sense of community service.

I think a landscaper should have quantifiable rates and charge everyone the same if the work is the same.
  8. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking pretty much upon the same lines Dan is. The department I work for and most others around here have to put a large job out for bid, and smaller jobs are done by contractors who are prequalified and on a "small works roster". On the other hand, I know that there are lots of small, mostly volunteer departments where the "good old boy" network is alive and well. These departments are required to follow the bidding laws, but that doesn't mean they always do. It could also be a non-profit incorporated fire company that contracts with a municipality. In that case, being a private organization, they could do what they want.