Fireweed?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArchiesLawns, May 9, 2005.

1. ArchiesLawns

ArchiesLawns LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Can anyone tell me about fireweed? Is there anything that can prevent it? I have been told that a pre-emergent will not prevent it from germanating because it grows in the thatch layer. Can anyone tell me what I can do?

Thanks

2. ArchiesLawns

from Alabama

No one has fireweed? I know there is somebody out there with fireweed? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

3. southernsprayguy

southernsprayguy LawnSite Member

One application of 2,4-D will knock it out.

4. ArchiesLawns

from Alabama

Hey Sprayguy

Do you know what you can do to prevent it? Also, what are you telling your customers? We can do a service on a lawn and then 3 days later be covered with fireweed. What can you say?

Thanks

5. southernsprayguy

southernsprayguy LawnSite Member

Fireweed has become a big problem in this area for the past 3 years. Preemergent applications don't/won't control it since it grows in the thatch. We tell our customers that a post-emerge herbicide, like 2,4-d, will kill the fireweed ....and it does.

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently posted the same concern with Pigweed a few days ago. If you had realized Fireweed is the same thing, we'd already be on the same wavelength.

Yes it is driving me crazy too. Some customers have it worse than others, which I conclude might be due to an excessive layer of thatch. Pre-emergent will do nothing to prevent it. I went back and sprayed a very light application of Threeway to take care of it. Most anything containing 2,4-D will do.

The good news is that our temps have finally hit the 80s this week. That along with drier conditions should stop further development of the weeds. Hot weather is your friend when it comes to fireweed.

7. ThreeWide

I feel like I'm the only one still having battles with fireweed/pigweed.

Even though some were sprayed for it in April, a new crop has germinated again in the past couple of weeks. Some of my customers are so mad they may be close to firing me.

Customers don't want to hear the story that pre-emergents will not stop those weeds. They think my program is simply failing because these weeds keep coming back. Trimec knocks them out, but they just won't stop coming back.

Damn weather.

8. TurfRx

TurfRx LawnSite Member

Fireweed is not the same as Pigweed. Fireweed is a.k.a. American Burnweed. Visit the Virginia Tech Turf Dept's website for more details. Anyway, tell your customers to visit this website also because it explains how Fireweed does actually germinates in the thatch layer which is above the pre-emergent barrier at the soil level. I have no knowledge whether Ronstar provides good control...but Burnweed is on the label. It would make some sense because Ronstar controls the weeds at the internodes after they germinate not as the seed germinates like other DNA's.

Hope this helps,
    TurfRx

9. kappa915

kappa915 LawnSite Member

Well, I see that the last post is almost a year old and I am having problems with burn/fireweed.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

10. ThreeWide

Another Spring....more fireweed/burnweed.

At least this year I was prepared to spray for it in April. However this b*stard of a weed is still germinating well into May. Almost every lawn that was sprayed for it in April will need it again.

This without a doubt is one of the biggest PITAs for folks in this area. I know it is for me.

Yes, you can tell customers that it grows in the thatch layer. They are paying you to control weeds and don't want excuses. That's the way I see it.